V: The Peace Meeting Begins

Nylez

   After the introductions, Ada nodded towards the Palaveri Mielenrauha (I call it the Palaver Mielen for short). "Shall we get this meeting started, then? I'm sure everyone is anxious to get inside."

   King Sunder huffed quietly, giving a suspicious glance to my father. "I suppose we should, we'll get this thing over with faster. C'mon boy," He turned to Prince Kumo, then grabbed his arm and almost dragged him inside.

   I exchanged a look with my brother, whose eyes narrowed slightly at the King's treatment of his son. I didn't need my Aura Sight to tell that he was annoyed and slightly angry but trying to not let it show on his face.

   We followed the Brunidinians into the Palaver Mielen and gathered around the newly visible marble table. It was circular, covered in intricate patterns, with swirls of white and gold covering the top. The chairs around it looked like dead tree stumps, but when you sat on one, it shifted into a chair that, according to Ada, best fit the level of comfort you like best and changed to your favorite color as well. I always thought that was cool, but I had my doubts that they could actually do that until now.

   The rest of the Torden and King Sunder's escorts stood around the table, behind those of us sitting, to act as guards should anything bad happen. I happened to sit to the left of Ada, and Erinn sat to the right. King Sunder sat as far away as he could from us, with Prince Kumo to the right of himself, though Kumo looked like he would rather sit closer to us than his father.

   For the first couple minutes, King Sunder just glared at us, not saying a single word. Ada looked at him over the fire pit, also not saying anything, as if daring him to speak first. Their emotions and stormy auras were so thick I could have sliced them with a sword, so I decided to say something to try and diffuse the building tension.

   "So," I coughed, causing everyone to look in my direction, "Nice weather we're having. Sunny, but with a pleasant breeze." I smiled in the hope that this would cause everyone to get into a more talkative mood. I was wrong.

   King Sunder just turned his glare at me, though his son gave me a small smile. At least he appreciated what I was trying to do, unlike Erinn, who almost snorted trying not to laugh at my attempt to get everyone to talk.  "We're not here to talk about the weather, Erede, we're here to talk about the relationship between our kingdoms. I know it's your first time here, but do try to keep up, hmm?"

   My family seemed shocked, and as did Prince Kumo. To speak to me in such a condescending tone, while I was simply trying to make small talk! Rude, but there wasn't anything I could really do about it so I simply smiled and brushed it off. If I made a retort now, it would only intensify the bad relations between our people.

   Ada cleared his throat.

   "Alright then, King Sunder, if you don't wish to talk about the weather, then I suggest we get on with business. Where would you like to begin?" Ada's posture was straight but slightly bent to the right, his arm resting on the tree stump-that-shifted-into-a-gold-throne.

   As soon as he said those words, I knew it was going to be an interesting meeting.