Chapter 5

When Rosella went downstairs to the common room that morning, she bumped into Percy.

"Rosella, did you know what the Sorting Hat was talking about last night?" She shook her head, curious why he was asking. "Alright. Just, wondering. Didn't want you to feel excluded or anything." Rosella snorted.

"Please, I'm a black haired Weasley. I'm excluded whether I want to be or not." Then she brushed past him on her way to her first class with Professor McGonagall, the teacher from her Sorting.
As she entered, she found that Ron and Harry were late as she sat down, noticing a tabby sat sitting perfectly still on McGonagall's desk.

Soon, the boys rushed in, panting hard.

"Whew, amazing, can you imagine the look on old McGonagall's face if we were late?" Ron asked Harry, just as the cat jumped off the desk and turned into Professor McGonagall! The two boys and Rosella were amazed. "That was bloody brilliant."

"Thank you for that assessment, Mr. Weasley." She said curtly. "Maybe if I were to transfigure Mr. Potter and yourself into a pocketwatch, maybe one of you would be on time." Harry looked down at the ground sheepishly.

"We got lost." McGonagall raised her eyebrows.

"Then perhaps a map? I trust you don't need one to find your seats." Both boys shook their heads, before sitting down, Ron next to Rosella and Harry in front of them next to Seamus.

Later, the three were in Snape's potions class. The students were chattering, sitting near steaming cauldrons.

"I'm a little nervous about this class." Rosella admitted to Harry and Ron. "I mean, I've heard Snape is the most rotten teacher in the school! Fred and George say that they won't even prank him because he would take hundreds of points from them and Percy says that he's certain he doesn't get full marks in this class is because Snape does it out of spite." Ron and Harry shrugged.

"Maybe they're just trying to scare you. And after all, he can't be that bad, can he?" Harry asked.

They soon found out.

The door slammed open and Snape came rushing in, moving to the front and standing over the students, a little menacingly, in Rosella's opinion.

"There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to enjoy the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few..." He looked at Malfoy, who smiled. "Who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death." That was when he noticed Harry, writing this down, and Rosella realises he thought Harry was simply not paying attention. "Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confidant enough to not...pay...attention." Hermione nudged Harry in the ribs and he looked up. "Mr. Potter. Our...new...celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Hermione's hand skyrocketed, but Harry just shrugged.  "You don't know?" Rosella felt sick to her stomach. Did Snape really expect them to know this on their first day of class? "Well, let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?" Hermione's hand shot up again, but Snape ignored him.

"I don't know, Sir." Snape's disdained expression didn't change.

"And what is the difference between Monkshood and Wolfbane?"

"I don't know, Sir." Harry said again, and Rosella shivered at Snape's icy glare.

"Pity. Clearly, fame isn't everything, is it, Mr. Potter?" Rosella hated him for saying that. Harry hardly knew what he was famous for! Why should he know answers to questions from a world he barely knew? Rosella didn't even know them, except for the last one. Aconite grew in her mother's garden, and smelled of old feet.

As she got up to leave when the class was over, she felt a cold presence standing over her, and turned around to see Snape looking down at her. She stumbled back, frightened by him, ands hearing snickers from Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle. "Don't think I don't know who you truly are, Miss Weasley." He said in his mundane way. "Though I'm certain that even an ignorant child such as yourself could have figured out the truth." She shook her head quickly.

"I-I don't understand, Sir. What truth?" Snape sniffed.

"Clearly being singled out doesn't make you think as much as one would think. However, it is not my place to tell you anything." Then, with a swish of his robes, he went back to the front of the room, and Rosella hurried out.