Chapter 2

What a nightmare, I think as I wake up. The real nightmare will start today because today is reaping day. I can feel it, already. I stand up and start to stretch my legs and hands. I get out of my room and head to the kitchen, I open the fridge and grab the breads on plate and milk bottle. I take a knife and grab a bread and cut it in half so I can spread some cheese on top of the other half and close it. Someone knocks and opens the door. It’s Blight, “Are you ready? For today?” I nod and take a sip of milk. District 7 is a big district, the jobs here are, Lumber Jack, Load Puller, Lead Climber, Furniture Builder, Carpenter, and Papermaker. I just know that Load Puller job is the hardest job in District 7, you will always pull some heaviest and biggest objects and deliver it. But, for me, I think being a mentor is the hardest job ever. I remember the tributes of District 7 tributes from the 74th Hunger Games. They’d died on the first day, bloodbath. They were in a costume of origami-like paper, and somehow, I feel sorry for them. Not that I care. I just find it, awful. Very. Aner Hagios, District 7 escort, told me about Origami after my game, he said it’s an art of paper, where you will fold the paper and make it an object, like clothes, table, flowers, anything. I heard Blight talking to someone, but I ignore it.

I remember my district partner, Ryan, why can’t I let go of his memories? I don’t have any feelings for him, and I’m sure about that. But somehow, I really can’t. Because you’re guilty, my mind says. No I’m not, why would I be guilty? I  haven’t done anything wrong. Yes you have done something wrong, my mind says again. What is it? Then I remember it, my conversation with Ryan before he runs out of breath:

Johanna… I don’t have much time. You have to win.”

“I will. I promise.”

“Could you take care of my family? Please?”

“I will, Ryan.”

I swore to him that I’d take care of his family.

After I found out that my family’s dead, someone took care of me. Ryan’s family. I even let them stay in my house for a month. Apparently, President Snow knew this, and killed Ryan’s family too. I didn’t kill them, I did what I promised to Ryan. I took care of them. Because of me, they died. So it’s still my fault. I wiggle my head to remove the thought. And I think of something, the lyrics of the tree song. It did cover the thought, thanks to the song. That’s when I notice my eyes, I’m on the verge of crying. I wipe it with my hand.

It’s afternoon, so I head to the square for the reaping. I see Aner, standing in front on the stage. He’s wearing a green clothes, and green wig, and green shoes, and green pants. Duhhh! And all the victors are in front of the crowd. Aner starts his speech, “Welcome, welcome! This year, we will be celebrating the 3rd Quarter Quell, so, let’s start the reaping! As usual, ladies first!” He smiles to the crowd and claps. He walks to the right side of the stage and puts his hand inside the ball with one paper in it. It’s my name. He walks back to the front and says, “The female tribute from District 7, Johanna Mason.” I walk and stay beside him and he claps again. He walks to the left side and grab a paper and walks back to the front and says, “The male tribute from District 7, Blight!” Blight? Why Blight? Then he claps again and says, “Let’s congratulate them!” then that’s when the head peacekeeper comes and push me and Blight. I jerk his arm, “I can manage myself! Let go of my arms.” Then he lets go of my arm and just walk. We head straight to the train. I sit on the couch. Aner comes in,

“Sorry about that. New rules.” Aner says,

“Why is that?” asks Blight.

“I don’t know.”

Then another man comes in, it’s our mentor. I snap, “No need to mentor us. We can handle things, right Blight?” and he smirks, “Yes. We can manage, Speckled.” So that’s his name. Speckled. It’s a plant. And it’s a cool name. He has a long hair, black, and he’s wearing blue t-shirt and black pants. His age is about 50s. I hear him mutters, “Yeah. Right. So, I won’t say anything about you guys. You can handle yourselves.” He looks at me, and I stare at him. Duhhhh. I head inside my room so that I can rest because my body is tired. I past Aner who’s smiling at me and I shot him a look and he points his one finger on me and wiggle it. Attitude. I rest my body on the mattress and shut my eyes.

Have fun, Snow. You’ll be dead, soon.