Chapter 3

I had a dream. I was running on the Village Arena, I killed some of the tributes viciously. I pretended to be weak so that I could be ignored by the other tributes. I wake up, breathing heavily. I can’t let go of my past. I can’t. This will soon be over, I think. I sigh and relax my right hand. I head to the kitchen and I found Blight, Aner, and Speckled. They are eating, so I join them. We eat in silence, we don’t know what to do. We will be at the Capitol in an hour. Aner breaks the silence,

“So, what are your plans?” he talks to Blight,

“I don’t know.” He shrugs.

“Probably survive.” I say, Speckled groans. I give him a look.

After an hour, we’re at the Capitol. The citizens are looking at us. Chanting our District. Seven! Seven! Seven! I didn’t smile at them. Fuck you all, I want to scream at them. I hadn’t receive any sponsors from them. And I’m sure they didn’t expect that, I would be the winner of 71st Hunger Games. Because I got the score of 2 in my private session. Because I did nothing. I didn’t wave my hands at them, I just head straight. I don’t want to see their faces. God, it’s annoying me. Aner follows me, I know where to go. Of course, being in District 7, I’d be in 7th floor, together with my team. I don’t know if we’re actually a team, though. I enter the elevator together with Blight, Aner and Speckled, who’s grinning. I don’t know why.

I head straight to my room, and Blight follows me.

“What?” I ask, fiercely.

“Let’s play a game, called numbers.”

“What? I don’t have time for games, Blight. Step out of my room. Now!”

“3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 11. Good.” I know what he means.

“1, 2, 5, 9, 10, 12, 15. I won.” He says it so no one could understand our game.

When he said the first numbers, I know what he meant. It’s mean that Districts Three, Four, Six, Seven, Eight and Eleven know about the saving-the-Mockingjay plan. He said the number ‘15’ so no one could really understand it. He smiles at me and smirks, and goes outside, away from my room. I am hungry, but I need to shower first. I open the bathroom door and close it. I remove my dress and open the shower. When I’m done, I put some pajamas on, and head outside of my room so I can eat with them. Probably, they are waiting for me. I take a sit beside Aner, and he smiles at me. So do I. We eat in peace. I’m full, very full. They served a lot of feeds, crabs, soups, breads. Everything luxurious! Gosh, I wonder if I’d be dead. Maybe soon? I push the thought aside. Speckled groans, “I have no role here.”

“Yes, you don’t have any role here.” I snap, he rolls his eyes. Blight smiles.

Today is opening ceremonies. So, yeah, tree costume again. Fucking disgusting. My prep team bursts out and hugs me. It’s Agnes and Alexis. They didn’t change. Then there’s my personal stylist, Aaron. Oh god. No, it’s the new stylist. Agnes says, “She’s Azolla. She’s the one who suggested tree costumes for District 7. And she’s really good. We’ve been under her since 40 years, together with Aaron.” I really hate my stylists. They’ve been making tree costumes for 40 years. I don’t like it.

I lie down on the table and my prep team begins to work their hands on me. Agnes making my hair, while Alexis scrubs my legs. And when they’re done, I head to Azolla. I see my outfit, well, it’s kinda good but I still hate it. Azolla begins to tie my hair in a ponytail, she says, “Red strands, eh?”

“Yeah. Is it ugly?”

“No, it’s good. I’ll make it spikey. It will match.” She points her finger on my dress.

“Maybe.” I shrug, and roll my eyes.

I put my costume on, then Azolla smirks at me. I head to the Remake Center, some of the tributes are there. I call his name, “Finnick!”

“Ah, Johanna… Your costume.” Finnick says, he’s wearing a half-naked clothes, he’s not totally naked because there’s some cover on his ground.

“Ha-ha!” I say sarcastically. He puts sugar cube in his mouth.

“Want some?”

“No. I’m good. Look.” I point on Katniss,

“Okay.” He smirks at me, and heads to Katniss. I see Finnick offers some sugar cubes to Katniss. I see Blight, heading towards me, “Looking good, huh?”

“So don’t you.” I say it with a grudging tone. He smiles.

I ride in our chariot with Blight. He’s wearing the same thing. Origami-like green with black clothes. I see the doors opening so I let my chin up. And we’re live. It’s a one minute parade, then I see her. I see both of them. Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark, their clothes, burning. Like coal. But it seems different. Like the volcano will explode. And I heard the citizens of the Capitol, chanting Katniss’ name. Katniss! Katniss! Katniss! Somehow, I’m getting frustrated. I don’t know why. Now we’re in front, President Snow begins to say his speech, welcoming us.

I get down on my chariot and head to the elevator. Then I see them. As they walk towards the elevator, I walk between them and pull my leaves on my head and tosses it at them. I ruffle my spikey hair and roll my eyes,

“Isn’t my costume awful? My stylist’s the biggest idiot in the Capitol. Our tributes have been trees for forty years under her. Wish I’d gotten Cinna. You look fantastic.”

“Yeah, he’s been helping me design my own clothing line. You should see what he can do with velvet.” Katniss replies,

“I have. On your tour. That strapless number you wore in District Two? The deep blue one with the diamonds? So gorgeous I wanted to reach through the screen and tear it right off your back,” I say.

I unzip my dress, letting it drop to the floor and kick it away because it’s disgusting, “That’s better.” I talk to Peeta, we’re talking about his painting skills and I see his face, uncomfortable. Here’s the 7th floor. Okay. “Bye! Let’s do it again sometimes!” I say.

I’m in the living room, naked. WhenBlight opens the door, he jumps. “Jeez! Johanna!”

“What?” I scowl at him, and then head to my room.