Chapter 04

I didn't mind art. It was actually my favourite lesson, the only lesson when I'm not sitting anywhere near Damon. He sits in the far corner of the room with the same girl who was glaring at me in Mr Young's class on my first day whereas I sit on a table in the completely opposite corner with two guys and a girl.

The girl seemed really focused on her work and the little flirting here and there between her and the guy sitting next to her did not go unnoticed by me. I think I recall him calling her Kayleigh. One of the guys sitting next to us, who I assume was on the basketball team since he carried one around everywhere with him, was actually being nice to me and helped with where everything was, his name was Aaron, and the other guy was helping me with ideas for my work, his name was Ben.

The topic was 'disguise' and Kayleigh was doing a girl applying makeup to her face, Aaron was doing various animals what were actually made from birds and Ben was drawing a man who blended in with a tree. I, on the other hand, had absolutely no idea. Ben said I could do animals disguising themselves with nature but most people seemed to be doing a nature related topic as I look around the class, that and masks. I decided to draw a girl smiling she looking at is a mirror which shows her reflection ripping her apart. I couldn't think of anything and since there was a limited time we had to get this done by I literally had to draw the first thing that came to mind and Kayleigh came up with the idea and I'm already in love with her artwork. I start drawing the outline of the people and the mirror and before I know it I'm ready to paint it. I decide to use watercolours mainly so I have an excuse to walk past Damon and see what he is drawing. From where I was sitting all I couldn't see anything on his paper.

I saw nothing when I walked past him and just grabbed my paints and sat back down. I put my brush in the water and a note flies across the room nearly spilling it. The whole table looks up at me as I look around the class for who the note could belong to. I see Damon smirking at me making me think it was him but as I look down at it I realise it can't be from him. It has my full name written in fancy joined up letters, which I don't remember telling him, and a heart. I open it to find a small poem.

Roses are red,

Violets are blue,

God made me beautiful,

What the fuck happened to you?

Damon Young xx

"What does it say?" Kayleigh asks. I read it out loud and the four of us laugh.

"You and that Damon kid are always arguing," Aaron says.

"You didn't hear them in maths! Gary was all 'ama hurt Juliet bruh' and then Damon was all like 'no ur not you turd'... maybe not exactly like that but it was just as cool. " Ben cut in talking very quickly and excitedly which made me laugh a little.

Kayleigh shakes her head. "It sounded nothing like that, Ben. You don't have to dramatise everything."

"Yes I do," he replies.

"Are you writing him a note back?" Aaron asks looking over at me. I nod my head and spare no time getting another piece of paper and writing him my own note. I try to copy the handwriting on the front only with his name and write a poem of my own saying it out loud for us to hear.

"Roses are red

You have a phone

You get no texts

Forever alone.

Juliet Rose xxx"

I throw the note over to him and the four of us watch as he opens it.