Chapter 05

"Are you coming back?" Mia said hopefully. Mia is my six year old little sister. She has my brown eyes and dark hair and pretty much the same everything else so we look far too similar - if she were a little older I'm positive we would be mistaken for twins. When I came back from school I had 17 missed Skype calls from her. God knows how but she managed to get a hold of our dad's computer to call me.

"I live here now, Mia, but that doesn't mean that I can't come and visit you every so often," I say trying not to upset her.

Our mum isn't really there, she spends time with our auntie and other members of our family. Our dad is always at work but anytime he has spare we would always spend it with us - even when I tell him that he needs time to himself to relax and that I will take Mia somewhere he will still refuse.  My sister and I are very close. Anyone so much as touches her and I'm there but now that's going to be slightly more difficult as I am a five to six hour drive away and I don't own a car.

"Can you come over this weekend? Please." Her please lasted for a good twenty seconds or so. How could I say no? She is adorable.

"I'll see if I can sis." Her puppy eyes are quickly replaced by a smile which makes me laugh. As much as I love the independence I missed my little sister more than anything.

"Mia, off the computer please, I need to speak with Uncle Phil" Our mum walks into the room. Mia pouts and our mother realises that she is speaking to me. "Hello," she says before going back to look at her phone. I roll my eyes at her and mouthed a goodbye to Mia. She waved at me and I saw she was wearing the bracelet I made her. The call ended and I looked down at my wrist and looked at the bracelet she made me. Before I left we made each other bracelets and I only take mine off when I'm getting washed.

I get ready for bed, putting my penguin pyjamas on and tying my hair up in a ponytail. I close the curtains before turning off my light and climbing under the covers of my bed.

***

I feel a freezing cold chill run past me and it almost reminds me of Damon or Alex's coldness. The flour that I was holding above me, drops on my head and makes my brown hair look white, and probably my face too. I spin on my heels to inspect what I felt run past me. My living room and kitchen look exactly like I left them. When I turn back around I see a monster staring at me in the window.

Its eyes burn orange and light up its whole face where I could see its jet black fur and the drool that drips onto the ground. It growls, displaying sharp teeth that stand tall with a red tint. The air catches in my throat and turns itself into a barricade to prevent any oxygen getting into my system. 

The demon like thing was knocked over by a figure who moved too quick for me to catch a clear sight of. I come to my senses, grab a kitchen knife and run outside. 

Everything looked unmoved and untouched. Like nothing had been here at all and I had just imagined the whole thing. I whipped my head left and right in an attempt to see if it was hiding and only going to come out when I'm not looking but there was still nothing there. There's no way I could have come up with that in my head. 

I spin around and see Damon standing behind me with his hands in the air. He wears his famous smirk which tells me he likes the complete and utter shocked look on my face.

"Did you see that?" I ask. I look over my shoulder to where the scene was supposed to be.

"Did I see what?" he asks, looking at me like I'm insane.

"That monster and some guy -" I pause and look back at Damon. His eyes are red before he blinks and they turn back to their original crystal blue. "You were there. You got rid of it. How?" I ask in breaths.

"Got rid of what? Juliet, you make absolutely no sense."

"You're lying to me." I bring back up the knife cautiously.

"Juliet, calm down, you aren't breathing." He starts moving forward but I flinch so he stops. "Do you see any trace of a monster there?" I look back and lower the knife again when I see no footprints or claw marks. Not even the grass surrounding my home looked out of place. It looked so real.

When I shake my head Damon makes his way towards me and takes my knife. "Look if you're that scared of something coming to get you I'll call Alex and tell him to spend the night here."

I look at him in defeat. There was no point in trying to convince him of what I saw since it was no longer here and probably wasn't going to come back.

"Thanks but no thanks," I say to him. 

In the corner of my eye, I see the giant hound behind Damon. It cracked its neck back into place and, before I could conjure up some words to warn Damon, it is already in the air with huge claws our ready to tear him to shreds.

I scream and I put my hand up towards the beast. A big gust of fire comes from out of nowhere knocking it back to the ground.

"Juliet wake the fuck up!" Damon screams.

Everything slowly turns black and I shoot up into a sitting position in my bed. The first thing I notice is Damon next to me in my room with red eyes shouting in my face. I don't really understand why he is shouting or what he's saying but I think that's because I'm far more concerned as to why he is in my home. 

The ceiling fell in pieces and the fire filled the doorframes. Shattered glass from my windows sprayed across the room, almost taking a chunk out of us as it passed. My once white furniture now have large orange flames sitting on them and the wood turned fragile and black.

"Come on," Damon shouts at me. He grabs my bicep and drags me to my feet. I start to choke on the smoke but it makes me gain back my senses. How is Damon not choking, how long has he been in my house for, how is my house on fire and what the hell was happening to his eyes?

Alex leaps away from the fire into what was my room with a large bag over his shoulder. The door behind him falls and brings the rest of the wall down with it. We are trapped in the room and my eyes struggle to stay open due to the lack of oxygen. Alex comes towards me until Damon picks me up and carries me bridal style. I try to protest by kicking and wriggling but I'm too weak to do anything that would work.

"Stop," Damon demands, "Do you want to get us burnt?" He holds me tighter against his body. Stop trying to move and hold onto him. Damon covers my eyes with his hand and then my head starts to ache. I try to open my eyes but when I do, I'm surrounded by nothing but darkness as memories of the fire slip away.