Prologue

PROLOGUE:

Melody

Have you ever noticed that one person? You know, the one who's always sitting in the back of the class, never getting called on. The one who eats their lunch in the library rather than the cafeteria with everyone else.

I doubt you have noticed them, because they are never noticed. They get pushed into lockers because nobody notices them. They're always alone for group projects.

Well, that person is me. I'm that girl.

But never mind me. There's always that one jock in the school who all the ladies adore. The one dating the head cheerleader, is the center of attention, and never gets in trouble with the teachers.

That is Luke Cosgrove. Or should I say, was Luke.

My school, Lakemoat High, cares about sports more than it does about the arts. The gymnasium is in a building beside the school because it's that big.

The thing is, if one of the jocks cause the loss of a game, they're off the team for a week at the most.

But Luke Cosgrove? He has a whole different story.

His story is the most interesting out of the whole school. He went from a jock to a complete stranger in less than 24 hours.

And where am I involved in all this?

I care for the arts, not sports. Painting. Sketching. Clay. Those are my life. Not some stupid sport like my older brother, Matt. Not a championship between Robinson High; our school's enemy. None of those matter.

Luke matters though. Nobody would acknowledge him or look at him. He is a complete nobody.

Like me.

Nobodies got to stick together.