Chapter 10: Winter Formal Invitation?

Chapter 10

Luke

Winter Formal. One thing I was absolutely NOT looking forward to. Apparently, it was less than two weeks away. I forgot about it completely until I saw posters plastered all around the school. I didn't want to go anymore. Before the basketball championship, I was basically a shoe-in for Winter Formal King. And now, I have no chance plus no date.

Well, hopefully I could ask Melody, but I wasn't going to. I mean, asking one of my only friends out to Winter Formal might ruin a lot.

In other words, I was probably not going to go.

"I'm joining you for lunch!" Crystal said as she climbed into the back of my truck. Melody, unfortunately, wasn't there. She hadn't shown up to any of the morning classes we had together, just like a couple of previous days. "So. You going to ask Melody to Winter Formal?"

I snorted. "Yeah, right. I'm also going to jump on a flying pig and soar to the moon!" I added an eye roll as I bit into my sandwich.

"Why not?" Crystal asked. "You totally like her and you both have chemistry! Both the class and physical!"

I raised my eyebrows. "Sorry, Crystal. It's not going to happen. I don't want to lose her as a friend, okay? I need to wait until I know she feels the same way."

Crystal frowned and hoped out of the truck. "Fine, be that way. I have to go talk to Coach about something." She dragged her feet to the gym.

"Luke, I need a favour," Matt said, walking up to me. "I know her older brother wouldn't usually say this, but I need you to take her to Winter Formal."

"I'm not taking her," I said. "Where is she, by the way?"

Matt sighed and shook his head. "She's at home. She's... not feeling good. Luke, I really need you to take Melody to Winter Formal."

"Why?" I asked. "I mean, not that I'm against it or anything, but why?"

Matt sighed. "A bunch of Robinson High dudes, including Kade, are planning on crashing it. And Kade has a reputation going on."

"Which is what, exactly?" I asked.

Matt shook his head. "He usually starts by flirting with girls. Single girls, without a boyfriend. Then he usually ends up doing something to them. It starts with and r and ends with ape."

My mind was a complete blank before I put the two words together. "Wait. He was flirting with Melody yesterday at the park."

"Exactly," Matt said. "Melody is his next target. I overheard the Robinson High basketball team talking about it yesterday. The reason why she's at home is because she's talking to our Aunt about what's happening. She's really freaked out, Luke."

I was really wanting to punch Kade now. "What does that have to do with me taking her to Winter Formal?"

"Kade doesn't go for girls who has a boyfriend," Matt explained. "It's basically his plan not to get caught. That, and I know you'll beat the crap out of anyone who bothers her. Like Briggs."

I snorted and shook my head. "Yeah, that wasn't me who punched Briggs in the face. That was Melody."

"Melody?!" Matt exclaimed. "My little sister punched Briggs in the face?!"

"Yeah," I said. "Don't be shocked! Briggs is a douche! Anyway, I guess I'll take Melody to Winter Formal."

"Thank you," Matt said with a sigh. "One thing, though. Mel doesn't know Kade is planning on crashing prom. If you tell her, she wouldn't want to go."