Chapter Four: The First Day (Part 2)

AN// ^^^Briar possibility (Sorry about the watermarks)
Since this chapter is a flashback, the verbs will be in past tense.

***

Lucas and I had always been close. We'd hit it off in seventh grade and just got closer from there. When I first met him in sixth grade, I had no idea that we would get that close. It all started when Katie introduced us...

"Hey Briar, I want you to meet someone." Katie said. I followed her and she led me to a boy our age with dirty blonde hair and tan skin. He was very cute. "Lucas, this is my new friend Briar. Briar, this is my brother Lucas."

I smiled at the boy. He nervously nodded, then ran off.

"He's shy." Katie apologized.

"It's fine." I said.

The next year, we still hadn't talked much since that day. But we did happen to have one class together: gym. I hated gym so much. It was such a bother. But he made it better. My friends Terra, Scarlet, and Hanna were also in that class, but they preferred to hang out with other people. Occasionally Scarlet would talk to me when the teacher made us walk, but typically I was alone. I did homework or played basketball with the boys. I'd noticed after a while that Lucas liked to do his homework during gym as well. I started sitting near him when I did mine, hoping he'd ask me how to do a math problem or how to properly use grammar in a sentence. And one day he did.

"Hey, do you know how to do this?" He pointed to a math problem.

"Yeah, let me show you." I told him some tips on how to work it out.

"Thanks. You're Katie's friend. What's your name again?"

"Briar." I said with a smile.

"Thanks Briar." He said, returning my smile. Then he got back to work.

Every once in a while, he'd ask me for help. I'd start a conversation after helping him, and soon enough it became a daily thing for us to talk. We realized we had so much more in common than we first thought.

"Hey, what song are you humming?" I asked him one day.

"Oh, just Boulevard of Broken Dreams. It's by Green Day." he replied.

"I love that song!" I exclaimed.

That song basically became "our song", kind of like cute couples. We'd sing it together in the corner and laugh.

When the end of seventh grade came, I was sad to not be able to talk to him over the summer. I'd have to get his number somehow.

I didn't get a chance to get it until eighth grade. The gods above put us in the same homeroom, like it was meant to be. He started sitting with me the third week of school and we talked all the time. I finally worked up the courage to get his number, but he started doing that "guy texting" crap and responded with one word answers. And a lot of "K"s.

I decided to confront him about it. "Hey, why do you always reply with one word answers and "K"?"

"I'm sorry. I've just never texted a girl before and to be honest it makes me nervous." He quietly said.

I stepped close to him. "You don't have to be nervous." It seemed like we had a moment, but it was broken when my friend Charlotte yanked me to the side.

"You like him, don't you." She grinned with an evil glint in her eye.

"N-no." I stuttered and blushed.