Chapter 14: Tryouts

"Turtwig! Not my glasses! No! Give those back!" Ash couldn't help but turn around distractedly as he heard Clemont's yells. He and his friends watched with a mixture of amusement and pity as the inventor chased his grass type around the lobby of the training facilities. He was never very fast, and it showed here, as Turtwig stayed well ahead of him, his trainer's glasses resting in his jaws. He didn't look like he was going to eat them, but more like he was enjoying his trainer's reaction.

"Shouldn't you do something about that, Ash?" a voice asked from the video phone that Ash was sitting in front of. "It looks like that Turtwig is quite the handful for Clemont, there."

Ash shook his head, turning back to the monitor, which showed Professor Oak's concerned face. He gave a quick laugh, giving one last glance towards Clemont, before bringing his full attention to Professor Oak. "They just need more time together," Ash said, shrugging and looking at Serena and Dawn who were standing behind him. "Don't you think?"

"Yeah, Clemont's a hard worker," Serena agreed with a small nod. "He and Turtwig will be fine. But this is part of the reason why Ash called, isn't it?"

"Oh, right," Ash said, shaking his head a little as he turned back to the monitor. "Yeah, the tryouts for the Interschool Pokemon League start tomorrow, Professor. I was thinking I'd like to get a team together for training, and there are a couple of Pokemon that might be able to help not only me, but Clemont and Tierno as well."

Professor Oak nodded, almost like he was expecting this. "Let me guess," he said, smiling, "you'd like me to send Torterra? I'm sure Clemont's Turtwig will be quite impressed with him."

"Yeah, that's what I was thinking," Ash said, leaning forward with excitement. "And let's see...from what I was told, it'll be two groups of six trainers. Not many people are trying out. Rowlet's too young to battle, so I'll need two others. How about Infernape and Hawlucha?"

"All right, I'll get them all set up, then. Just give me a few minutes to get them ready," Oak said, standing up.

Ash nodded, and watched as the Pokemon Researcher walked away from the video phone, picking up three pokeballs from a shelf which had Ash's name above it. Once Professor Oak was gone, Ash turned to Serena and Dawn, noticing that Clemont was now gone from the lobby. "I hope Torterra can help out Clemont with his Turtwig. I like to eat, but that thing really takes eating to an entirely new level."

"I think you should be more worried about your training," Dawn said, taking a seat at an empty video phone. "There might not be many people trying out, but those who are, clearly think they have a plan to beat you, Clemont and Trevor."

"A plan to beat us?" Ash asked, looking at Serena in confusion, as if she'd have an answer.

Apparently she did, as she giggled a little at Ash's confusion. "Don't you get it?" she asked, exchanging an amused look with Dawn. "You three are the trainers to beat. You're the Kalos League finalist, Clemont's one of the best gym leaders, and Trevor has a Mega Charizard, and proved at the screening tests that he just had bad luck at the Kalos League."

"Wait...is that why so few people are trying out? They're scared?" Ash asked, feeling a bit irritated at the thought. He would never back down from battling someone who might be better than him just for fear of losing. He didn't like that others would back down from battling him just because of his success.

"It's still going to be tough for you, Ash, don't worry," Dawn told him seriously. "Five battles in one day. That's going to be tough. And there's a good chance you battle Clemont or Trevor. Maybe even both."

"Wait...what about Tierno?" Ash asked, although he kind of expected what he was up to.

"He's...got other plans," Dawn answered, raising an eyebrow like she expected Ash to know. "They should be here by now, shouldn't they?" she suddenly asked, looking towards the doors at the entrance. "Tierno said Professor Sycamore told him it wouldn't take long."