Chapter 20: The IPL Begins!

Author's Note:

Wow...sorry for how long it took to get this out. Some stuff came up and then I just had so much work to do. Things should pick up this week, though. And good timing for that...because now, we have the IPL to enjoy. So here you go!

Chapter 20: The IPL Begins!

"Ivysaur, today's the day!" Shauna announced, hands almost shaking as she slipped into her formal school dress that had been provided for her. The Theme Performance would be a Pokemon Quiz today, so she and whichever Performer chosen from Laverre University would be competing in a race with their Pokemon, and then answering trivia questions depending on who won each individual race.

"Ivy," Ivysaur said happily, looking around to the door of the changing room excitedly, hearing the crowd outside. It was fairly loud, with many of the students having come to watch the opening of the IPL. Shauna was really starting to feel the pressure, knowing she had a big role to play, being the first one to compete.

There was a knock on the door a few moments later, just as Shauna was slipping on her academic hat, getting ready to go. "Hi, Shauna, it's Serena," came her best friend's voice.

"You can come in," Shauna called out, the door opening a moment later, Serena stepping in and closing it behind her. "I can't believe it's finally here," Shauna said, as Serena stood at the door, giving a quick greeting to Ivysaur. "I have to admit, I feel the pressure."

"You'll be great, Shauna. The Pokemon Quiz is easy for someone like you," Serena said confidently, holding a fist up and smiling. Shauna would've made a comment about her looking like Ash, but decided not to bother, since she wanted to focus on the competition. "Just focus on one thing at a time. Win the race, and then worry about the quiz after that. You know you're pretty smart, so the race needs to be your priority."

Shauna nodded, looking down at Ivysaur, who straightened up once hearing those words. "Do you think you can do this, Ivysaur?" Shauna asked, clenching her fists and smiling at her partner Pokemon.

"Saur! Ivysaur!" she answered back, nodding confidently.

Shauna looked back at Serena, taking a deep breath. "I guess we'd better be getting out there. It's probably going to be starting soon."

"Yeah," Serena answered, nodding. "Don't worry about it, though, okay? It's a tough position to be in, going first in a tough competition like this, but you can handle it. And we're your friends no matter what, Shauna. We're supporting you all the way."

"Thanks, Serena," Shauna said, again taking a deep breath to calm her nerves. "I won't let you guys down. Ivysaur and I will give it our all."

"Would Shauna and Casey pleaze prepare to come out to ze stage?" Fantina's voice rang out, Shauna raising her head and looking at the door, at the sound of her name.

"A little different than Monsieur Pierre, but she's not too bad," Serena said, giggling a little as she went to the door, opening it up, the noise increasing without the door having been blocking out the sounds outside.

"Yeah," Shauna said, looking at Ivysaur, "but let's just hope her questions aren't too difficult for us."

As Shauna made her way out of her dressing room and to the side of the stage, she could just see her opponent, the green-haired girl, who she'd been informed was named Lisa, approaching the stage from the other side. Shauna attempted good sportswomanship by giving a small wave and a smile, but Lisa just gave one bored glance back, before turning her head and waiting for Fantina to finish up explaining the rules of the upcoming competition to the crowd.