Chapter 4

Aedion had been doing this for too long now. He was tired and cold and lonely. Not that he didn't have anyone to talk too, there were plenty of people. Just not the right people.

At that moment he realised just how much he missed his cousin. Yes he had been without her before but that was when he presumed her dead. This time was different.

This time he knew he had not protected his queen as he had swore to do. He knew he had failed her and knew exactly how. He knew that she was still alive and living through a great deal of pain.

His heart sunk at the thought. She had been to Endovier and back and survived but he didn't know if she would survive this one, could survive it. How could she? She was 19, alone, in pain and totally defenseless. How could anyone survive that?

He heard a knock on his door and mumbled a come in.

His heart skipped a beat as a beautiful woman with gold hair and his famous ashryvr eyes strode into the room. He regained himself, remembering that it was Lysandra.

As soon as the door shut, she locked it and shifted into her usual body.

"Lysandra, what are you doing here?"he demanded, curiosity getting the better of him

Lysandra looked down at herself and sighed she threw herself into a chair and began.

"I don't know how Aelin deals with all of this. Ralfe is ranting about how he's in charge, Ansel is punching everyone that gets close to her, some of the soldiers are fighting one another and the silent assassins will randomly jump out of no where and have a knife at your throat when you least expect it." She let out a long, calming breath and put her hands to her face.

"I'm sorry, I'm dumping all this shit on you." She got out the chair and looked at the door. "I should go, wryd knows what they are doing to each other out there"

She headed towards the door but Aedion stopped her

"No, its okay. Stay for a while. You need the break. We are all on edge. We have had no contact with Rowan or Dorian for months now so everyone's bound to be a bit agitated."

She sighed and strode over to the chair opposite the one Lysandra had plopped herself back down .

"Thanks." She muttered, her face. Going the slightest bit red. She had closed her eyes and rested her head on the back of the chair when Aedion finally broke the silence.

"Rolfe has been getting more and more agitated at the meetings as well. He keeps saying that the assassins should go in first, clear a path. He doesn't understand that its better if we stick together. I still need word from Chaol. I need to know if he has an army. The plan is pretty much in place otherwise."

"Do you think Chaol had regained the use of his legs?" She asked suddenly.

Aedion tilted his head but replied "I do hope so. He will be such an invaluable warrior in the upcoming war, we may need his power. The healers can do anything, I'm sure he's already running about with Nesryn."

Her facial features lightened a little and she asked, changing the subject. "Do you remember that time in Skulls Bay where I was injured as a sea dragon and I couldn't come back from the edge, when... when you asked me to..." she chewed on her lip, looking down at her

"Asked you what?" He replied. He had a feeling he knew exactly where this was going.

"You asked me to marry you. Was that sincere?" She asked, mustering all her confidence.

"So what if I asked you to marry me? That is never going to happen now is it? You have to be Aelin for the rest of your mortal life and I, " he sighed "I don't really get a choice in the matter"

She felt her heart sink. That hadn't been the response she was hoping for. What response was she even hoping for? Of course he couldn't marry her. That was out of the question. Rowan was married to Aelin and if she was to save Terrasen she would have to accept that she could have no life of her own.

"Aelins going to make it." Lysandra directed her eyes to him with forceful determination. "She will survive and come back to us." There was such finality in her tone that Aedion had to take a moment as he let her words wash over him.

"How can you be so sure?" He asked, hopelessness caressing his raw voice.

"I can feel it my bones." She replied and, without looking at him, walked out.