Chapter 8

Aelin said nothing as Fenrys sliced open the iron chains and helped her out of the iron coffin that had been her home for too long. She breathed in the fresh air coming from the open door and tried to slide off the table on which her box sat. She failed and slipped to the floor, her legs giving out and whole body aching from lying still for so long.

Of course, she had been out of the coffin before. Cairn just loved to play with her. He would laugh as she tried to use her magic but ended up looking like a tomato. Yet, all that had stopped when, one day, Cairn had been taunting her but halted, suddenly. He had gone rigid and pale as he sensed, or rather smelled something. He had hastily locked Aelin back in her cage and had said nothing to the comments Aelin made.

This meant that she had not been outside in 7 month's and mother she missed the sun. She followed him, her arms still chained and wondered what kind of punishment Maeve would force Fenrys to perform. She hated to think of what it was like for Fenrys. He hated Maeve as much as she did but he had to act pleasant to her.

"Where are we going?" She croaked out, trying to distract him as she counted all his weapons and looked for one she could use. He had 2 swords crossed behind his back, 14 hunting knifes and blade made of pure diamond, slick, light and unbreakable, which was strapped to his side. He was the perfect representation of a warrior. His stance was strong, his steps unwavering. She felt a shift in his posture as he walked so she quickly glanced down. He turned to her then and whispered,
"Take the hunting knife on my right. At the next corner, stab me in the back and knock me out. The key for your chain is in my right pocket. Your friends are by the bushes to the right. Make it quick, make it clean. I trust you." He said and quickly straightened up and growled
"Home. Now shut up you little bitch."

Aelin let that information sink in. Her friends where here. Rowan was here. Fenrys was helping her. That light her heart sparked again and she cracked a small feline grin. She would escape, she would get back to Rowan and she would go back to Terrasan and live as queen of the realm. But what about Erawan? What about the lock and the Vaulg. Her smile faded. No she wouldn't get to go back to Terrasan. She would die to keep those she loved safe and she would go down swinging.

She studied Fenrys words again in her head. Grab the hunting knife. Stab him. Knock him out. Run for Rowan. A strange feeling hit her then. Fenrys. He would be betraying Maeve. What would she do to him? Would she ever see him again. She would aim the blade in the centre of his back, just a few inchs from his spine. That way he would be immobilised enough that she could slam his head into the wall. Hopefully Maeve would not punish him if she made it look bad, like he hadn't had a chance.

The corner was fast approaching as she scanned him for the key. He had said it was in his right pocket. She used the skills she had learnt on the streets of the slums in Rift hold to grab the key and started quietly undoing her chains. 10 steps. Come on. She needed to do this. Her hands were shaking and thin from the lack of nourishment but she managed to slip the keys in the lock and twist.

She caught the chains in one hand and grabbed the knife in the other. As they reached the corner she whispered
"I'm sorry." Before she stabbed him in the back. He went rigid and she used the opportunity to lock his hands in the chains, slipping the key in his pocket as she slammed his head against the corner of the wall. She had to hold back her cringe as she stumbled back, ungracefully, and heard bone crack. She didn't hesitate but instead rushed down the hall, towards where freedom lingered, waiting for her.