Past and Present

AN: HEY GUYS!!! I JUST WANTED TO SAY, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! ITS CHRISTMAS IN TWO DAYS!!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Natsu woke up with tears in his eyes. This whole adventure (if that's what you want to call it) had been a nightmare. First he found out that his best friend was a killer, and then he had to fight with her! After she ran away yesterday, he had been depressed. And also, what the hell was that whole hair thing about?! He remembered her gentle touch, those hands certainly didn't feel like they belonged to a killer, yet he knew they did.

He knew that if they had this same old fight over and over again, nothing would change. He had to find a way to get to her. He wondered if she had the slightest idea of who he was to her. Maybe. . . maybe he could find a way to remind her. He stood up and stretched, wiping his teary eyes.

He woke up Gray and Erza, and rushed them to get up. "We're going to the beach again! Let's go!" Natsu yelled.

After a few minutes of grumbling, he finally managed to get the group up and ready. Erza marched forward, Gray and Natsu following behind. "Alright, let's go to the beach!" Erza commanded.

Natsu thought for a moment. "Actually, let's stop by a store first."

His two comrades gave him strange looks. "Look Natsu, if you want to eat, we can-" Gray was interrupted.

"Just trust me, okay?" Natsu pleaded.

---

Lucy was lazing in a beach chair, patiently waiting for her favorite group of playmates. She immediately perked up when she heard people walking on the sand, and whispering quietly. She looked over to see Striper, Red Haired Chic, and Natsu. She stood up and cracked her knuckles with a smile. "Haha!" she cheerfully laughed! "Leeeetttttt's do this!"

Gray subconsciously removed his shirt. "We'll win this time!" he yelled.

"How can you win if you can't even keep your clothes on?" she laughed.

Gray looked down and blushed. "Clothes have nothing to do with this!"

"Well," Lucy giggled "whatever lets you sleep at night! Now then! Let's get this party started!" she exclaimed excitedly. She put a purple piece of gum in her mouth. "Grape." She inhaled, puffed up her cheeks, and blew out a thick purple mist. The three Fairytail members broke out into a coughing fit. Lucy spit out the gum and popped in a blue piece.

Lucy blew water, just like before. But Gray froze the water in midair, letting it fall to the ground and shatter.

Lucy laughed. "Damn. Stuck in an element triangle. I can't use ice, water, or fire with you guys!"

"You won't win!" Erza shouted, running at her with a sword. Lucy just smoothly dodged again and again. She spit out the grape gum, though Erza sliced it in half, rather than letting it hit her again.

Lucy popped a green piece of gum in her mouth, and blew on Erza's face. Erza stopped in her tracks. She then proceeded to lean forward, until she hit the ground.

"Erza!" The boys shouted.

Lucy spit out her gum. "Oh, don't worry! All I did was paralyze her for a bit! It should last a half hour, but Red Haired Chic is a fighter, so she'll be fine in a few minutes."

Gray gritted his teeth. He made an ice sword and charged. But Lucy picked up Erza's sword and countered. She elbowed him and sent him to the ground. She pointed the sword at his neck. She lifted it, and then sent it down full force. But then paused about a half-centimeter away from his head. She directed her attention to an object flying at her, and easily caught it with her hand.

She looked at it for a moment. Then, for the first time any of the Fairytail wizards had seen, her smile dropped. She threw the sword to the side, and dropped to her knees. Gray hurriedly sat up and backed away, staring at the girl. Erza did the same.

Lucy looked at the object in her hand. It was just a packet of plain flavored bubblegum. She looked at the person who threw it to her. His fluffy pink hair was so familiar. She looked back at the gum.

-flashback-
"You must be cold. I'm sorry. But I'm a fire mage, so this should warm you up." a little boy with pink hair comforted, lighting his hand on fire. He gave her a look of sadness. Little Lucy wasn't quite sure how to react. Then, the boy reached into his pocket and gave her a packet of gum.

"Thank you." Little Lucy said. To most people, this might not have been much. But to Lucy, this meant the world. It was the first and only present she had ever received in her life. She would surely treasure this small thing forever.

Later on, Lucy ended up falling asleep on the boy's shoulder. Little did she know, her dad would find her, and take her away quietly in the middle of the night. He would severely punish her for running away.
-end flashback-

-new flashback-
Lucy was alone in her room. Her Dad wasn't home then. She was fourteen years old, and her life had not gotten much easier. No friends. No loving family. She did have a single life line, though. A gift she had gotten years back. She had a piece of gum whenever she could hardly bear to live anymore. It made her feel like she could keep going. And whenever she felt depressed, she would hold it tightly. Every time, she was reminded that there were still kind people in this world.

Suddenly, her door shot open. Shit! How did she not hear him come in?! She quickly hid the packet behind her, but too late. Her father stormed in, knife in hand. He kicked her on the floor and picked up the packet. "I-Is this an item that I don't know about?! Did you have a treat, even though you know full well you're not aloud to?!" he screamed, clearly just finding a reason to get angry at his daughter. He put his fingers in position to rip it.

"Nooooo! Stop! Please, you can't!" she pleaded, begged.

"Oh? Is this special to you? Well then, it will make a perfect punishment." he grinned. With those few cruel words, he ripped it. And with that one cruel action, Lucy Heartfilia lost her shit. For her, everything went black. She could feel her body moving, but her mind wasn't moving with it. She was stuck in a black void, unable to function. Her heart was torn apart. The one thing on this Earth that made her happy, ripped by the person that made her least happy. She had nothing now. There was surely no way she could move on.

When she came to it, she found herself blankly staring at her fathers dead body. Blood stained his clothes, and would forever stain her hands.

Suddenly, reality hit her. Tears streamed down her face. She dropped the knife, and fell to her knees. She looked up at the ceiling, and her eyes widened. "NATSU!!!" she screamed for help. She looked down at her dad"s body once more. And then. . . she started laughing.
-end flashback-

Present Lucy stared at Natsu. Tears began streaming down her face. "N-Natsu." she cried. He walked up to her, knelt, and hugged her tightly. Gray and Erza stared at the two in utter shock and confusion.

Lucy hugged him back. "I missed you so much!" she sobbed.

Natsu began crying also. He remembered all that effort and all those years he had spent searching for this girl. "I-I missed you too!"