XXV

"Blue," Elena and Caroline tell April. 

"I like the red," Carli says. 

"Isn't the blue too safe?" April asks, holding up the too dresses. 

"Safe's good when it comes to the judges," Elena says. 

"She's right, Gracie Lockwood had a 3 foot slit her year, and practically got laughed off the court." 

"She's got my vote," Damon says, standing at the door. He locks eyes with Carli, who gives him a tight smile. Wounds were still fresh, very fresh. 

"Get out," Caroline throws a sock, "Lurker." 

"Ouch," he mocks. "Where's professor Shane?" 

"Check the judges' table," Caroline sasses while shutting the door only for Damon to put his hand up against it. 

Caroline turns, giving Elena a look, but she only rubs the back of her neck uncomfortably. Her gaze doesn't even glance in Carli's way. 

"Red one, definitely," Damon tells April. 

"We've already agreed that the red one's a little bit too showy," Caroline says. 

"It's a pageant, that's the whole point!" 

"Did you win Miss Mystic last year?" Caroline's hands go to her hips, and Carli fights the urge to laugh at how serious she was taking the pageant. "No, I don't think you did." 

"Neither did Elena, she wore blue." 

"Nobody cares what you think," Caroline said, almost like a five year old complaining. 

"I care," April admits. 

"Idiot," Carli mumbles under her breath. 

"See? April cares. Red, right, Elena?" 

All eyes fall on her. "The red is pretty." Caroline looks betrayed, although it wasn't that big of deal to what dress she wore. 

But Carli looked up, shocked. She made it seem so seriously that being showy was a big no, and now she was okay with it? Carli fought yet another urge, only this one was from opening her mouth to sass anyone. 

Her and Elena were finally on good terms, and she wanted things to get better. Getting upset over a stupid dress wasn't going to help them, she decided. 

Damon grins, "And my work here is done." 

"Uh, what happened to thirty seconds ago when you hated the red one?" Caroline asked her. "What happened to "safe is good"?" 

Elena appeared flustered for a moment, unable to answer. "Whichever one you want to wear, April." She takes a deep breath, walking out. 

"I knew it," Carli rolled her eyes, readjusting her robe. 

"What?" April asked. 

"Go change," Carli snapped, "This doesn't have to do with you." April, frightened by Carli, hides in the bathroom. 

"What's with you?"

"Elena's in love with Damon," Carli says, lifting her dress from under it cover. "And I'm tired of being everyone's second choice," she looked at herself in the mirror, holding the dress over her body. 

"She picked a dress, that doesn't mean she's-" 

"She cheated on me with him, Caroline," Carli snaps. She looks over her shoulder, "Somethings you just know, and this is one of them. I know there's something going on between them, and until they figure it out, I want nothing to do with Elena."