Chapter 5

Thursday morning. I can hear my parents moving around in the kitchen. Talking, making coffee. After I got dressed and brushed my teeth I make my hair into a loose ponytail. I got to the kitchen to greet my parents, they both greet me quickly. I can see that they are in a hurry.

As we reached the school I quickly realized something. Donovan was not on the bus. It isn’t like him to miss school. Maybe I should just text him to find out what’s going on. “HEY DON, JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF EVERYTHING IS OK, NOTICED THAT YOU DID NOT GET ON THE BUS TODAY. PLEASE LET ME KNOW ”

I waited impatiently for him to reply, I just have a bad feeling about this. Then when my phone vibrates I nearly jump over the roof.

“HEY KATHY. I WON’T BE COMING TO SCHOOL. MY MOM DIED IN A CAR CRASH ON HER WAY TO WORK THIS MORNING” My heart suddenly felt heavy as I read his text and I could feel tears filling my eyes.

“WHAT’S YOUR ADRESS? I’M SKIPPING SCHOOL AND COMING OVER, I’LL TAKE A TAXI!” I texted without even thinking. I can’t even imagine what he is going through, a minute later he texted me his address.

“Jess, you have to cover for me, I’m skipping school today, I’m not feeling well…” I lied, I couldn’t tell her, if she told Ryan I don’t know how he would react to that.

I quickly called a cab, and five minutes later I stopped in front of a huge white double -story house with green lawn. As I walked through the gate I saw someone sitting on the front steps with his head in his hands. I suddenly felt a knot in my throat and I found it hard to breathe.

“Donovan?” I said softly.

He looked up, his eyes were bloodshot and his cheeks were wet from tears. I really did not know what to say. His hair was a mess and he looked shaky.

Without saying a word he got up and hugged me. I hugged him tighter and I could feel him shaking. I felt a tear rolling down my cheek. There is simply nothing I can do or say to make him feel better. I mean he just lost his mom, all I can do is be here for him. So there we stood in front of their house, just hugging in silent. He was still shaking.

“I’m so sorry” I whisper, not knowing what else to say.

“Thanks for coming, Kathy” he says with a trembling voice. And this just breaks my heart.

Never have I ever had this helpless feeling. There’s just NOTHING I could do…

“Do you want to go for a walk?” he asks in a low voice.

“Sure” I said as we pulled away from each other. I tried to smile at him, but it must have been the most saddest smile in the history of smiles.

We walked tightly next to each other until we reached the park. We found a comfy bench in the shade. We sat there. Silently. Well there’s nothing I can do, but I bet just being here is better for him than being alone.

“I just don’t understand” he manages to mumble, “why should it have been my mom?”

I honestly did not know what to say at all. The only thing I manage to say is that I’m sorry. He leans his head on my shoulder and takes a deep sigh. And there we sit for a whole while.

“I probably should be getting home” he said while sitting up straight. Just looking forward. “I’ll take you home, I don’t want you getting into any trouble.”

Still I felt that knot in my throat. My heart literally hurts and my eyes keep burning.

He took my hand and squeezed it tight as he said, “I really appreciate you coming here, don’t know what I would have done without you.” The corners of his lips curl up a little, his eyes are stil so red.

When I got home I fell down on my bed. I felt so emotionally drained that I almost immediately fell asleep.

++++++++++++

I woke up early on Friday morning. As I woke up I immediately call Donovan to check up on him. He sounds so hurt, but better than yesterday. He was not coming to school, which I understand.

Everything at school just felt like a blur. Everything felt so unreal. I couldn’t stop thinking about Donovan and how hurt he is.

“Are you even listening to me?” Jessica exclaimed as she punched me lightly on the shoulder.

My eyes widened, “Excuse me, what?”

“What is going on with you? I was saying that Ryan can’t stop going on about how excited he is to see you tonight. He said you guys are going to watch DVD’s. I’m going to my grandma’s tonight, so I won’t be there.”

Oh yeah, Ryan. I can’t wait to see him either. Feels like forever since I’ve seen him. I smile at the thought of him, but I still can’t help thinking about Donovan.

This day felt so long. I texted Donovan as often as I could just to make sure he’s still doing OK.

Time came for Ryan to pick me up. I had a fun time watching DVD’s with him. It was rainy outside so we were lying under the covers and he wrapped his arms around me. He could tell I was feeling down, and he quickly made me feel a lot better. He gave me a kiss on the forehead.

“Kathy, I really have to ask you something” he said with a smile.

“Sure” I replied returning a smile.

“Well these couple of weeks I had really started to fall for you,” his chocolate brown eyes were big and inviting, “I just wanted to know if you want to be my girlfriend?”

I gave the widest smile ever! “Of course I would Ryan!”

He smiled, gave me a kiss on the forehead, then pulled me closer and held me tighter. I love the way that I feel when I am with Ryan. He makes me feel like I’m home, and he is always so warm and sweet.

When I came home that night I immediately called Donovan to check up again. There’s nothing wrong with having guy friends, is there? Even though they look like they are sent from Heaven. It’s innocent. We’re just friends right?

Writer’s note

So this was a sad chapter.

How you feeling about Ryan and Kathy? I think it’s cute.

But what about Donovan, are they really just friends?

The picture on the right is Jessica J

Love,

Kimi

X0x0