Chapter 13

“Can I please have a name, Miss, and an address would be great as well?” the officer asks, ready to write down my answer in his notebook.

I sniff, “It was Jessica, Jessica Parker,” I sniff again, “And her address is 15 Washington street.” I feel another tear rolling down my cheek.

“Do you know any reason that she might’ve had to do what she did?” he asks again.

“No, I don’t understand any of it. She is… was, my best friend!” I exclaimed.

He quickly writes down again. “Thank you, Miss. That’s all we need to know.” He says and closes his notebook. He gets up, greets me with a nod, then leaves.

I couldn’t think of any reason that Jess would’ve done that.

++++++++

Finally I can go home today after a week in hospital. Crutches and all. The doctor said that I should be careful with my ribs but they stable enough for me to go home.

As I went into the living room, I’m greeted by Biscuit. I missed him a lot! Donovan is at school so he isn’t here right now. I sit down to watch TV, my mom pushes the coffee table closer so that I can elevate my leg, Biscuit jumps onto the couch and curls up against me.

All the time I can’t help but wonder why Jessica did it. I don’t understand, she seemed fine that day, not showing any signs of anger. I heard that police has arrested her and she is still in their custody until the court hearing, and as she’s already 18 the chances are good that she will go to jail. I know she ran me over, but still I feel sorry for her.

“Mom, I want to go talk to Jessica…” I told my mom.

“Are you sure that you’re ready, hun?” I could see that she’s concerned.

“Yes, mom. I just have a few questions for her.” I replied.

“I’ll take you first thing in the morning. I have to go to work now, your dad and I are working night shift. Carissa is over at Sally. But don’t worry, you won’t be alone” My mom said and smiled as she walked out the door.

Sally is Christine’s sister, funny that two sisters are friends with another two sisters, but I think it’s pretty cool.

Suddenly the doorbell rings.

“Ahhh damn,” I mumble to myself, “Coming!” I yell at the mystery person.

I struggle to get up, but I managed to get my crutches. Then I walk over to the door and open it. I smile when I see Donovan.

“If it isn’t the most lovely girl ever” Donovan smiles and kisses me on the forehead. Ok, I’m never going to get used to the feeling I get when he touches me.

I smiled at him, “I’ve missed you so much!” I tell him.

“And I’ve missed you more” he smiles again, “I brought some popcorn and DVD’s”

He held my hand as we watched movie, and it felt amazing. The whole night he was so caring and supportive, serving me like I’m a queen or something. He was so sweet. During the last movie I fell asleep.

“Kath,” Donovan whispered, squeezing my hand, “Wake up Kath, I’ll help you to your bed”

I open my eyes to find my head on Donovan’s shoulder and our fingers still intertwined.

He held my waist, supporting me as we went up the stairs. He tucked me into my bed and then kissed my forehead. I smiled.

++++++++++++