Chapter 11

It’s the first day of our vacation. Jess and I decide to go to the mall and hangout there for a while. We try on cute clothes, amazing shoes, and tons of sunglasses. Not that we really plan on buying anything today.

“I’m starving” Jess said and lets out a deep groan.

“Me too! Wimpy sounds great right now!” I exclaimed

We both got ourselves Chicken burgers and sodas. Jessica takes a big bite out of her burger, she puts her burger down and points her index finger up while chewing, indicating that she wants to tell me something.

“Kath, you are not yourself today, you know…” she takes a sip out from her straw, “You really can’t still be upset about Donovan, I mean it’s almost been like 5 days, you should’ve been over him by now!”

What? Did those words just come out of her mouth? 5 days. Who the hell gets over someone in 5 days if they really loved them, because I did… I did love him.

“Jessica, you really are not an expert at love. I mean you get over someone in 3 hours, and I’m not like that!’ I snapped at her.

She rolls her eyes, “Yes but Kath, Donovan is an asshole and he is just pathetic. Just get over him!” 

Oh, no she didn’t! Who is she to tell me that?  She does not know anything about Donovan, and she doesn’t know how I feel about him. Now she comes along and says that he is an asshole! Only I can say that about him! Nobody else. And the part of him being pathetic? Actually she’s the pathetic one. If any guy so much as just smiles at her she falls in love with them, now she claims to know about love? Give me a break.

Oh, my word. I just thought about something. I now know how Christine felt that time when Chanel and I told her that Quinten was no good. I mean who were we to tell her that? Maybe we don’t see the good in him, but she does and we should just respect that. I wish that everyone started thinking this way. I mean maybe you don’t see the good in someone, but the other person does!

“Don’t you dare say that about Donovan! You don’t know him like I do, Jess. By the way I have to go.” I say as I take the last bite of my burger.

+++++++

I wake up to the sound of my whole household singing me happy birthday. I’m 18 today, and somehow I imagined this day to be different. I really had no plan of getting out of bed today. Why can’t I just get over Donovan like I got over Ryan? Because I love Donovan. That’s why.

“Happy birthday!” my mom, dad, and sister shouts together. My mom hands me a small box. “This is from all three of us”

It was the most beautiful watch I have ever seen, it has a silver chain with tiny crystal droplets hanging from the chain like a charm bracelet. The watch itself has small shiny purple rhinestones all around the edge. This was really amazing! “Thank you guys so much!” I exclaimed, giving them a group hug.

I feel nauseous and still heartbroken when I think about the memories that Donovan and I shared. It can’t be natural feeling this way, can it? There’s still a week of vacation left before I can see Donovan again. But I don’t want to wait! I want to see him NOW. If only I hadn’t brought that stupid subject about his adoption up, then things would be different.

Ever since that rainy night I haven’t been able to be myself again. I hear his voice in my head, and my heart feels so heavy each time I think of his face. I have to do something about this. I can’t go on like this.

I take a deep breath and I start writing a text to Donovan. “DONOVAN. I AM REALLY SORRY ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED THAT NIGHT. IF I KNEW IT WAS SO SERIOUS I WOULDN’T EVEN HAVE MENTIONED IT. I MISS YOU MORE THAN I’VE MISSED ANYTHING ELSE IN MY ENTIRE LIFETIME. PLEASE CALL OR TEXT ME BACK!”