Chapter 27

When we came home the house looked silent from the outside. I put my keys in the lock of the front door and slowly opened the door. Kyle came in close behind me. Then I saw my parents sitting on the couch with worried expressions.

“Mom? Dad? What’s going on?” I asked concerned.

“Kath, maybe you should sit.” My dad said seriously.

“No, I am fine! What happened?” I asked more stern than before.

“Kath, it’s Donovan. Their airplane crashed and there aren’t any survivors.” My dad said.

His words echoed in my head and everything was spinning. My knees became weak and I could feel Kyle’s arms around my body.

Then it all turned black.

++++++++++++++

I woke up on the couch with a blanket over me. I saw Kyle asleep on the other couch. I glanced to the clock on the wall to see it is 4am.

Was it a dream or was it true.

“C’mon, Kath. Donovan is OK!” I whispered to myself.

I wanted to get up to get a glass of water but for some reason I felt very weak. I accidently knocked off the remote off of the table which caused Kyle to wake up.

“Hey,” he frowned, “Sit down, what should I get you?”

“You know I’m like 18, right. I can take care of myself… but water would be nice” I smiled.

He brought me a glass of water and sat beside me. I took a sip and placed the glass on the table. He carefully watched me.

“Are you OK?” he whispered.

“Yeah?” I replied unsure.

“You know Donovan is in a better place now, right?” He examined my expression carefully.

“You mean… It wasn’t a dream…” I swallowed and I could feel the tears. I just couldn’t stop them.

Kyle held me tightly against his chest not saying anything. We probably just sat there for hours with me continuously crying.

I just wanted to know why? Why Donovan? We were happier than ever and now this. I have lost one of the most important people in my life and I couldn’t understand why.

++++++++++++++

The vacation went by slowly and consisted mostly of me crying the entire time. Kyle stopped by daily and Ryan also stopped by frequently.

I have had a lot of time to think... At least I could find a little bit of comfort with the idea that his he and his father is now with his mom in heaven, and maybe his sister is there too.

I keep dreaming about him. Seeing his face everywhere and waiting for him to call my phone. Since the accident I hadn’t left the house and I didn’t even think about going near their house.

A week before school some guy in a fancy suit stopped there. He rang the doorbell and said that he has a package for me.

I closed the door and just stared at the package. I stood with my back against the door and started opening the package. I immediately saw that there was a letter in there so I took it out. I froze when I saw whose handwriting it was. Donovan.

Dear Kathy,

By the time you get this letter we would both be done with school and wearing our graduation caps.

I know in my life I have made a lot of mistakes and I have been uncertain about a lot of things. Then again I have been absolutely sure about some things, like spending my life with you.

From the first day I saw you in that bus I knew… I knew you were going to be a big part of my life, but I didn’t think at first it would be this big.

I don’t care where life takes us as long as we are together. I know that you would make a great mother and wife one day and I promise I would be a great husband to you and father to our children.

Words will never describe how much you mean to me, so I just hope this gesture does.

I know that we are still young Kathy, but I want you to be my wife. We don’t have to get married now… I’ll wait until you are ready even if I wait for a thousand years. I just want to know that it will happen someday.

You are my forever.

Love,

Donovan

I slowly slide down the door until I was sitting on the ground. I kept my eyes on the words of the letter and started to cry again. I still had the rest of the package in my left hand and it felt heavy.

I put the letter on my lap and took out a small box from the package. I carefully opened the tiny box to reveal a ring. It was silver with a diamond the shape of a heart. The most beautiful ring I have ever seen. And to know that it was meant for me… that he wanted to marry me broke my heart even more.

I carefully took the ring from the box and slid it onto my finger.

“I do, Donovan” I whispered.

++++++++++++++++

About 2 years has gone by since I lost Donovan.

I graduated high school and I am studying to become a forensic detective. I want to help people who lost loved ones like Donovan lost his sister. I want to find those people’s loved ones as I know how hard it is to lose someone you love forever.

To this day I wear the ring on a small silver chain around my neck to keep Donovan close to my heart.

Kyle and I have been going steady for a couple of months and I love him very much but no one could ever replace Donovan. He will always be in my heart and I will always love him.

There is more than enough space for Kyle but Donovan stays there. And Kyle also knows it.

Time heals and my pain from the loss of Donovan will also heal, but I will never forget about him.

Never.

Writer's note...

Thank you for reading my first story ever !! 

I currently starting a new story called Flowers, love & death. Be sure to check it out on my profile!

Love you all and I will keep you updated !!