Chapter 9: Merry Xmas Everybody

Robin: 25th December

"It's Diviiiiine Daaaaaaay!"

I groaned and rolled over, burrowing further into my pillows to escape Lissa's yells. What had she come down to the garrison to shout about now? I couldn't remember us being due to march anywhere.

"Wake up, sleepyheads!" I could hear her banging on the bedroom doors. "It's Divine Day! Wake up, wake up!"

I'd rather sle...what?

I flung the covers back and sat up, ignoring the chill of the morning air as my heart began to race.

"Wake up, Robin!" My door shook against its hinges. "Chrom's waiting for you!"

I needed no further incentive. I leapt from my bed, washed my face, then dressed in white trousers and a red shirt. I tied my hair into pigtails using two pieces of red ribbon that Sumia had given me, and then paused to carefully scrutinise myself in the mirror.

I did not look any more different, or any more special, than usual. Disappointment coursed through me, but I buried it. It didn't matter. I could not – and would not – allow myself to think about why I had wanted to look beautiful.

I was the first of those who slept in the garrison to arrive in the main living space. Sumia, Frederick, Lissa, and Chrom were already waiting at the large table, looking as festive as humanly possible while paper chains and tinsel dangled over their heads. Lissa was stretched across the oak surface, trying to reattach a paper snowflake to the wall. Frederick and Sumia were talking quietly, so close to one another that Sumia was almost in her husband's lap. Chrom was twisted slightly away from them all, his eyes trained on the door.

His face lit up the moment I stepped in, and he rose to greet me. I almost ran into his arms. We embraced tightly for a few long seconds, until the sudden swish of falling paper startled us apart.

Sumia had stood up to help Lissa fix the decorations, but she'd only made matters worse. A string of paper chains was now scattered across the floor. She blushed, bending to pick them up with a muttered apology. Lissa, Chrom, and I laughed, and Frederick went to help her. My prince and I sat down at the table.

"Happy Divine Day, Robin," Chrom said, taking my hand. His blue-grey eyes were sparkling. "You look almost as excited as Lissa."

His sister was now prancing around the Divine tree, admiring the piles of brightly-wrapped parcels that were spilling out from underneath. I could just about see my long, thin present to Chrom. I smiled, my excitement rising even higher as I imagined him opening it. I met his eyes. "Happy Divine Day."

As we waited for everyone else to arrive, I turned back to the tree, mentally sorting through the presents that were visible in search of a ring-sized box. I found nothing. If there was one, it was well hidden.

Finally, the rest of the Shepherds began to pour into the room. Chrom and I shuffled up a few seats so that there was space at the table for them. Some anxiety settled into Chrom's expression. I wondered if he had managed to perfect the speech that he would be making to his people later. It would be the first time in fifteen years that his older sister had not done it.

Once we were all seated, Lissa began to dish out our presents. Everyone appeared to have received at least one gift from every other Shepherd. Some of them were identical, like the expensive boxes of chocolates that Maribelle gave to everyone. Others had been picked out carefully with each individual Shepherd in mind. Stahl gave us different potions depending on what he thought we needed the most during our missions. Lissa had made everyone extravagant paper crowns by sticking together tiny squares of cardboard, and each one was tailored to match the colours that the owner most often wore. Sumia had made every woman a unique flower crown. Cordelia had bought me a thick, prestigious strategy book that I had been desperate for.