eight

When I got back to the apartment, I set my bags at the door and looked for Niall. 

"Hey, I thought I would cook us something for dinner." I stood near his bedroom door. He was sitting on the end of his bed, looking awfully burdened. He didn't seem to care about what I said. He was silent for a few seconds.

"Please sit, Jade. I need to talk to you." 

If his tone wasn't enough to frighten me, his body was even more telling to his current state of mind. The lower, darker layer of his hair stuck to the nape of his neck where his sweat was building up. His eyes were set on his left wrist, around which he persistently moved his watch. The dimple his furrowed eyebrows created, and the slight pursing of his lips concurred with my conviction that whatever he was about to tell me would be everything but pleasant. 

And as soon as he cleared his throat, I locked in my breath. 

**Niall**

"Left, left, right."

"Right, left hook, right." 

"Two more." 

"Great job, go get some water." 

I slumped down against the locker-room wall and pulled off my boxing gloves. I let the heavy breaths escape me, calm me. I pressed the back of my head against the concrete wall, the roughness of which scraped against my scalp, the feeling was strangely pleasing. 

I stood in front of the mirror above the only sink, removing my white hand wraps. I soon realized the first couple layers were stained in blood, but strangely I felt nothing. I let the cold water pour over my bloody knuckles. 

The heat was trapped in this room, and it was soon unbearably hot. I poured the water from my bottle over my head, and rubbed my hand through my hair. I had spent the entire afternoon here, and had very little desire to leave. 

I was a mess. And I had no idea what to do with myself. 

**Hannah**

I turned the corner after the CVS, and stopped in the next alley. I stood there, hit by the wind. I had no family to call, and no friends to talk to. Even if I did, this wasn't a conversation I'd soil them with. The only way for me to get perspective was to go back to my rotten spot, in this rotten alley, where I rot on the pavement waiting for a sick man to want to take advantage. 

Clutching on my designer bag, I felt my coat. I had never touched such soft, luxurious materials before this except men's suits when I slid them off their bodies, or the silk of their sheets as I lied on them naked. 

A couple tears escaped me. I was just a well-dressed whore, catching single-sided feelings for a man who didn't give two fucks about me. Was it better than being a cheap prostitute fucked by men who disgusted her? 

At least it didn't hurt. 

I walked away, trembling. 

A few blocks down, I noticed a girl leaning against a street pole. She was textbook. She wore stiletto black heels that she clearly didn't know how to walk in. Her fishnet tights had a few holes in them. Her leather shorts gave away half her ass. Her slinky arms were tightly wrapped around her waist, which told me she was freezing. Her hair was disheveled, and her makeup was running down her face. It seemed as though she hadn't changed or showered in a week. To any outsider, she'd be 18 or 19. But it was clear from the look in her eyes she was a lot younger. 

"What's your name?"

She pretended not to have heard me, and looked the other way as she vulgarly chewed her gum. I knew I wouldn't get an answer. I took my phone, wallet and keys from my purse and slid them inside my pants pocket. "This is worth a couple thousand dollars. Just promise me you'll take some time off." I offered her the purse. Shocked, she stared at the bag, and then at me. But she didn't touch it.

"Why?" Her voice was brittle, and gave away her young age. 

"Because I know." 

She hesitantly allowed me to place the lance in her hand, and my coat over her shoulders before I walked away.

"Dana." I heard her call out. I smiled at her, tears brimming my eyes, and left for good. 

"How was your day?" 

"Fine."

Discomfort would be too light a word to describe how I felt sitting in an empty room next to him. 

"I never apologized for what happened at the concert the other night. I shouldn't have-"

"Doesn't matter." I responded bitterly. His fingers grazed against my hand, and as I frowned he retracted his action. 

"It does. You're not a piece of meat." He whispered. I looked at him, blurting out a sarcastic chuckle.

"Just so you know, I've never been treated any other way than a piece of meat. Cut this good guy act out. I'm not falling for it." 

"You don't have to believe me." He spoke assertively as I started to walk towards the door. "But you at least have to pretend you do." 

"I don't have to do anything, Liam." 

"I didn't come up with this, Jade. This was all Niall's idea. If you don't comply it's him you'll have to deal with." He stood up, and walked towards me. I stared at my feet, hoping he wouldn't detach my sight from them. I felt him gently grab my left hand and lean in towards my ear. "I'm a lot nicer." He whispered, running his thumb over the back of my hand. This did little to reassure me, but at least it didn't upset me more. "We don't have to do anything. Just pretend we're together. You'll still be with Niall, if that's what you want." 

"Is that what he wants?" 

Liam furrowed his eyebrows, looking surprised by my question. He searched my eyes for... something. And he seemed to have found whatever he was looking for. 

"I was wondering why anyone would stay with a guy like that in such... conditions." He whispered. "You have feelings for him, don't you?" 

____________________________________________

Don't worry! I don't intend on dragging this Niall vs Liam thing too long. Not like I did in KBMEBF. Just thought it would stir things up a bit! 

Lmk what you think <3