Taylor Gibbs

Chapter Ten.

"He seems like a gentleman", I added. "A gentleman? please Mandy don't be blind, Taylor Gibbs is on top of the player's list at your high school", Barney said, I didn't even hear what he said besides 'your high school'. "he goes to my school?", I asked Barney.

"Yes, he's a grade A student, in the same grade as you, he's filthy rich, and for the first time in my life that's the first time i've seen him act like a gentlemen", Barney added. "whatever, why is he here tonight?", I asked as I was peeking out of the curtains to watch Taylor sit down on one of the balconies above the second floor of audience chairs to the far side of the seats, allowing him, his mother, and father have their own little booth to sit in.

"Well, word is he loves the Opera Stage, and that he had been missing for two days starting this week, and was found in an ally half beaten to death yesterday", Barney said. My eyes widened, yesterday was the day that Tex had left my house. "but he doesn't have a scratch on him", I protested. "it's called make-up", Barney said with a sigh. "look if you like the boy why don't you hop on stage and do another microphone test", Barney said watching me for an answer.

"No i'm good, plus you have customers arriving", I told him, he peaked out of the curtains beside me as we watched a crowd of people rush into their seats. "Alright it's showtime", he said, I turned to walk away to my room, and I would probably sit in there until it was my time to do my act when Barney stopped me. "Mandy, part of your act, it will be . . . A mysterious women, that's the theme, so here, put the mask on", Barney handed me a pitch black mask that you would see in the movies whenever there was a masquerade ball, the women had their masks on a stick.

I took it from him and looked at him like he had gone mad. "Really? just admit it I'm part of your get-rich-quick scheme again aren't i?", I said, and he shook his head, "yes, and this one will work, now put that on before you come onto the stage, okay?", he said as he turned to his crowd of disorganized actors. "Fine", I moaned to myself.

I exited the stage, and went to my room to make sure I was make-up ready for my show. When I entered my room flowers stood on my desk, a vase full of them. "what . . .", I approached them, and looked around for my Mom. I took the note off of the rope of the flowers and opened the tiny card.

It read: Mistress, i can't wait to see you perform tonight!

I put the card back, and suddenly someone jumped out of my closet and it was my father. "Dad, you scared me", I said, he walked over to me, and looked me up and down with a smile. "Mandy you look gorgeous, you . . You look like your mother", he hugged me tight, and smiled at me again.

"Dad, I thought you couldn't make it", I said, "what you don't want me here?", he asked me jokingly, "No of course I do", I said, "Well I just thought i'd surprise you that's all", he said, he observed the room, and then spotted the mask in my hand. "is that part of your act?", he asked me. "yeah, Barney has this rich scheme going on", I explained, my dad rolled his eyes.

"As always", my dad said. He hugged me tightly before heading to the door, "I'm going to go find your mother, are you going to be okay?", he asked me, "yeah, just fine," I said, he nodded with acknowledgement before closing the door behind him.