xxvii. who will fight

HER

HER

Two weeks had gone by since the party, and she was back to living by herself again - only, this time, Dan was around. As she watched his lazy self scavenge around for the TV remote, she heaved a sigh, recalling the day Dom had left.

"Adios, amigos and hermanos!" He waved cheerily, one hand holding up his bag by the strap, leaning slightly against his travel bag.

"Bye," They all mumbled back, trying to look as happy for him as possible, but everyone would miss the hollywood star now hiding under a hood and sunglasses. Julia had to hide her hands behind her back to stop herself from hurling things at him in disappointment. And if she noticed closely enough, she could make out Lance pouting at his departure.

"Oh, come on, guys. It's not the end of the world." He scoffed, sticking out a tongue.

"Touch wood. You better touch wood right, Dominico Cross Hart." She demanded, causing Dom to sprint to the nearest teak box. "What is it with you Hart boys and saying stuff like this? If you hadn't touched that wood, I'm pretty sure the world will end up in a coma and I'll end up think it's dead, only for it to come back three years later. Right, Lance?" She nudged his shoulder.

"Y-yeah," he nodded, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand. "Goddamnit."

"Uh, okay, in my defense -"

"Oh,shush, you two." Dom ordered and held his arms out. "Come here."

They obeyed, Kota rolling his eyes and munching on a cookie, and she muttered, "It's just hard for us to watch you leave like this. I'm so used to listening to a broken record going 'blah blah blah' all day."

He hit the back of her head playfully. "I'll be back before you know it. And you're coming over to visit anyways, right? You're all coming. So stop acting like you're in one of those soap operas, kiddos." He chuckled. "See you later, alright? Watch out for some hot paparazzi shots of me!"

And they all burst out laughing, hugging him once more, before letting go and waving like a bunch of maniacs.

"Man, I'm going to miss that duck-caller." Kota said, sarcastically.

"Dude, please tell me you're dreaming about how happy I'm going to be driving that new car you bought me." Dan said, and pumped his fist when he came in contact with the TV remote. "Seriously, though, you look so out of it, I'm afraid you lied to me that I was the one in a coma."

"Pfft. You wish." She snorted, a very unladylike thing to do, but that was all her brother's fault. He brought the worst, and the best, out of her.

"Anyways, while you were daydreaming, your phone's been doing the bee dance. Buzz, buzz, buzz all day, jump on the damn coffee table and distract Jordan, hey!" He sang, waving his hands around and tossing her her phone. She rolled her eyes. This idiot.

We've got a seal to deal - no, wait, I mean, we've got a deal to seal. Did I say that right? Anyways, Starbucks front, today evening at 5:15 pm. Yours wholeHartedly, Taylors.
I Hart You. Get it? No? I'm so stupid.
Oh, shoot, I sent that.
Don't mind me, Jules!

Wait, don't mind anything apart from the first message! Please mind that one! Be there!

See you when I see you, Grey. :P

"Alright, when did you start getting all comfortable with Taylors?" She jumped when she heard Dan speak from over her shoulder. He was glaring at her, in his over protective brother manner, but his question did irk her. When did she start getting comfortable enough to stick her tongue out at him? "Answer me, Ju."

"I don't know." She replied honestly, turning her phone off.

"Are you going to meet him, then?" He inquired, forgetting all about the show he was watching.

"Yes, of course." She braced herself for the protest-rant he was going to go into, but he simply nodded, causing her to narrow her eyes at him. What was he up to?

At five in the evening, she found herself tugging the cotton sleeve of her fall sweater - quite inappropriate for the chilly winter weather - over her palms and rubbing them together to make them warm. When she exhaled with her mouth, a puff of white air formed and she raised her eyebrows in slight surprise. Sigh. Winter was falling soon.

"Julia Axel Hart." Lance had appeared out of nowhere and was in front of her instantly. "I see you're feeling cold, and you're a bit early, eh?" He held her hands in his warm ones, and she shrugged nonchalantly.

"I suppose, I was bored and lonely at home, anyway." She replied, imagining Dan throwing a fit at what she'd said. But, her amused imagination was short lived once Lance got down on one knee. "Wait, when you said propose, I didn't think you actually meant it, Lance! Get up, Lance, please."

He nervously chuckled. "I know I lost, but it's my job as dealmaker to hold up my end of the bargain. So, please let me do this, Jules." He took a deep breath of confidence. "Will you, Julia Axel Hart, w-will you go out with me?"

It was like everyone around them stopped just to see what she'd say, what her answer would be, and she felt like maybe her heart had stopped with them, too. And slowly, very softly, so quiet it could barely be called a whisper, she said, "Yes."

"