viii. it's the end of an era (and life)!

08 | it's the end of an era (and life)!

IT WAS ONLY a few minutes later when the three realized they were trapped inside Newt's magical case. They had given some more care to the creatures and then decided to leave, only to find that the latch had been sealed and they couldn't escape.

"Newt!" Dorothy called, "How could someone catch us? No one knew where we went except...oh no!"

"What? Except who?" Jacob asked, looking at Dorothy's guilt-ridden expression.

"Except for Diana," she whispered, "I wrote a little note for her before we left. So that she would know where I was...she worries a lot. But she wouldn't have done this - she couldn't have!"

She looked at Newt, who didn't look at her, "I'm sorry."

He simply shook his head, "You're correct. I don't think Diana would have done this...but Miss Goldstein would."

"Tina?" Dorothy gaped as Newt nodded, "No! She - she couldn't have!"

But they didn't have anyone time to argue as there was a knock at the top of the case. Newt looked back at them, going to the latter and climbing up, opening the case, Dorothy following shortly after.

"Scamander?" the British envoy gasped, looking at the man.

Newt closed the case slowly, looking nervously at the crowd, "Oh - er - hello, Minister."

"Theseus Scamander?" another envoy asked, surprised to see who they thought in front of them, "The war hero?"

"No, this is his little brother," the British envoy answered before turning to Newt, "And what in the name of Merlin are you doing in New York?"

Newt answered him smoothly with a lie, "I came to buy an Appaloosa Puffskein, sir."

The British envoy raised his eyebrow in suspicion, "Right. What are you really doing here?"

And then the case opened again, revealing Jacob, smiling obliviously at the people before frowning.

"Goldstein - and who is this?" Madam Picquery asked her worker.

Tina looked at Dorothy before answering, "This is Jacob Kowalski, Madam President, he's a No-Maj who got bitten by one of Mr. Scamander's creatures."

There were many reactions from the employees. They were furious that a creature hurt a No-Maj. How could the man let it happen? How could Dorothy help him?

And then, a body floated around the room. Dorothy gasped, stepping back slightly. "No," she whispered.

"Merlin's beard," Newt breathed, looking at the image, scanning and calculating it.

"You know which of your creatures was responsible, Mr. Scamander?" Madam Ya Zhou asked the man.

"No creature did this...don't pretend!" he told them all in slight anger, "You must know what that was: look at the marks..."

The next words that came from him made everyone gasp, "That was an Obscurus."

Everyone muttered amongst themselves, and Grave began to look alert at the situation.

"You go too far, Mr. Scamander. There is no Obscurial in America," Madam President played ignorance, "Impound that case, Graves!"

Graves took the case with magic, and Newt helplessly began to take a step forward, "No...give that b -!"