vi. creatures of every color, venom, and sad story

06 | creatures of every color, venom, and sad story

DOROTHY COULD EASILY say that the magical case belonging to Newt Scamander was the most fascinating thing she had ever seen. Everything, all the creatures and different areas, were mesmerizing and intricate. And Newt himself...well, he wasn't that bad according to Dorothy.

Newt, who was currently stroking one of the 'Graphorns', said, "Hello, hello!"

He seemed oddly tranquil as the creature's slimy tentacle rest on his shoulder, seeming to embrace him, while herself and Jacob looked with an uncomfortable aura surrounding them. While she admired Newt for his care for his creatures, she found the sight of that weird and unsettling.

"So they're the last breeding pair in existence. If I hadn't managed to rescue them, that could have been the end of Graphorns - forever," Newt explained to the two.

Dorothy gave a pout, looking at the creatures, "I'm sorry. You two seem very nice."

A younger one of the creature trotted up to them, heading straight to Jacob and liking his hand. The creature, seeming interested by the new person, stared at the human before letting Jacob pet his head, which he did with a small smile. Newt watched the two, pleased, as Dorothy smiled at the creature and the Scamander couldn't help but let his eyes wander to her, an even wider smile forming as he did.

"All right," Newt spoke, throwing a piece of meat into the enclosure, which the creatures hastily went to.

"So what, you - you rescue these creatures?" Jacob asked, standing next to Newt as Dorothy watched the Graphorns with admiration.

"Yes, that's right. Rescue, nurture, and protect them, and I'm gently trying to educate my fellow wizards about them," Newt spoke with pride.

Dorothy smiled, walking over to them, "By what? Accidently letting some of them out onto the streets of New York and exposing the wizarding world to No-Majs? Great work, Newt."

"I didn't - it wasn't my plan," he stuttered out, sighing and looking at her, "Those weren't my intentions."

The strawberry blonde smiled, nodding as she stepped to the side, letting Newt gain control again of what was happening.

"Come on," he motioned for them to follow. They entered a more bamboo territory, ducking and diving through the trees as Newt called, "Titus? Finn? Poppy, Marlow, Tom?"

They emerged into a secluded spot of the territory, where Dorothy could vaguely see small creatures climbing a tree. Newt brought one of the creatures out of his pocket, perching it on his hand.

"He had a cold. He needed some body warmth," Newt told the others. Dorothy frowned, muttering a, "Poor thing," to which Newt smiled at.

They moved closer to the small tree that was bathing in sunlight. A clan of the creature that Newt was holding were having a conversation and rushing out of the leaves. Newt extended his arm to the tree, trying to gently push the small creature onto the tree, but it didn't work. The others spoke noisily (in their own gibberish) when they saw the young thing.

"Right, on you hop," Newt spoke, but the creature refused. Newt sighed, partially looking back at them, "See, he has some attachment issues."

Then, he turned back to the creature, "Now, come on, Pickett. Pickett. No, they're not going to bully you...now, come on, Pickett!"

Pickett continued to cling onto Newt, desperate not to return to the tree, and Dorothy's heart broke a little as she saw that. Finally, Newt sighed, accepting defeat.