Milestones

"I remember when you started to walk. It was really surprising!"

"I bet, seeing as you wouldn't teach me."

"I mean, you learned to talk on your own, so I just kinda figured..."

Zolo was busy cleaning his swords when he heard Sanji yell for him. "Zolo! Come here! Quick!"

He ran toward the kitchen to find, much to his surprise, Shinji, tottering forward on unsteady legs. Sanji was on his knees in front of him, arms out. "Come here, sweetie. Come to Daddy!"

"Da-Da?" Shinji wobbled, looking toward Zolo now. "Da-Da!" He turned, waddling toward the swordsman.

"Woah!" Zolo dropped to his knees and reached toward Shinji. "Whatcha comin' to me for, huh?"

'Was it because Sanji said Daddy?'

"I wonder..." Zolo waved toward Sanji and said, "No, no, go get Mommy!"

Shinji looked toward Sanji and grinned. "Mama!" He started to walk toward Sanji and Zolo broke down laughing.

"Shut up, Mosshead!" He held Shinji in his arms and the little boy giggled and tugged at his father's hair.

"Well, you did give birth to him."

"That doesn't make me a mother!"

"It totally does. Now go on, Mom, you still have to make dinner."

"I called father, mom?"

"Yeah, till you were like, six."

"Oh."

"Yep."

"... Well, what was my first word."

"Oh gosh, why did you ask that."

Zolo held Shinji in the crook of arm, careful not to drop him again. He was bouncing in place, trying to keep his son asleep.

"Hey, Mosshead." Sanji stepped up beside him, taking Zolo's hand in his.

"Hey, Cook."

They stood in silence for a minute, just looking out at the water. Then Shinji started giggling. "Hmm?" Zolo held him up to eye level and grinned at him. "What iz it baby? What chu laughin' about?"

Shinji then placed his hand on Zolo's face and said, "Moss." Zolo's mouth fell open.

"Please no."

"Moss!"

"Shinji, sweetie, no."

"Mossmossmoss."

"Why are you like this?"

Sanji was holding his sides, crying from laughter. "Yesssss! You should be happy, marimo, his first word is your name!"

"Shut up Sanji! Who asked you!"

"Moss!"

"You shut up too, you little traitor!"

"Well then."

"I swear, I'd never felt so betrayed in my life."

"Cest la vie."

"The heck does that mean?"