Chapter Four

Starlight woke up and could emediatly feel the tension in the air. Wolves were hustling about,pups weren't aloud out of their den,and apprentices were using their powers for things like carrying water to elders and keeping the food well hydrated so it wouldn't go bad. Starlight looked around and a wolf ran up to her.
"We need you,LillyPad,OceanStorm and HealingWing to go hunting for any food available." The wolf stated,not even bothering to say good morning or hello.
"Wait! What's going on here!?" StarLight caught the wolf as she was running off.
"You don't know!? The forest animals are dying for no reason!" The wolf then ran off again,leaving StarLight in shock. She snapped out of it and ran to get LillyPad.
"Lilly!" StarLight yelled and ran over to the female.
"Coming! I just need to get my apprentice to send water to the elders." Just then a petite blue and green female wolfpup shyly came out of a bush,water floating beside her.
"Yes Ms.LillyPad." The pup then ran off towards the elders den.
"We need to get a wolf named HealingWing and OceanStorm." StarLight barked. LillyPad nodded and ran towards a peach coloured male. StarLight ran to get OceanStorm.
"Ey rude dude. I need you to go hunting with me,LillyPad and HealingWing." Starlight really didn't like OceanStorm,and wished he would be sick so he couldn't go.
"Alright princess I'm coming." He hauled himself off the rock he was lying on,and ran with her to LillyPad. LillyPad had apperently found HealingWing,because a big peach coloured male with wings was sitting beside her.
"Lets go." StarLight and the others then bolted out the camp.
"Anyone smell anything?" HealingWing asked. OceanStorm sniffed around a burrow,but came up dry. The other two shook their heads. Going farther into the woods,LillyPad picked up a scent."Hey,over here." She whispered. HealingWing ran over beside her. In the middle of the apprentice training centre,which was a big clearing surrounded by bushes,there was a little fawn munching on a tuft of grass. Beside the baby was a beautiful doe,and with her a big 12 point buck. The four surrounded the clearing hiding behind the bushes,OceanStorm counted down from three by swaying his tail. Three,Two,One. First up was HealingWing and LillyPad,who both went straight for the buck. The doe and fawn,like expected,ran off. OceanStorm attacked the doe and StarLight went for the fawn. The fawn went down easily,but the doe put up a good fight. OceanStorm got a cut on his side,but the doe was swiftly killed afterwards. The buck was the problem. HealingWing was going after the flank,and LillyPad the front.Part of The MoonPack Code was to use your powers only in times of need during battle. LillyPad was trying her hardest to get a kill-bite,but the bucks horns were proving to make that task a challenge.
"Lilly distract it!" OceanStorm barked. StarLight was sent to bury the bodies of the doe and fawn,so they could get it later and nothing else could get to the bodies. LillyPad did as OceanStorm said,and got the buck to focus on the opposite side of OceanStorm. Just then OceanStorm jumped in and got the kill-bite. The buck fell limp and LillyPad and the others stepped back,panting. StarLight walked up to them and started digging a hole for the buck.
When the buck was buried,the four went off looking again. The only other thing found was a rabbit. When they got back,the pack acted like they were carrying a big grizzly bear into the camp. LillyPads' apprentice quietly ran over to the fawn and dragged it over to the fresh kill pile. One of the wolves went for it,and LillyPads' apprentice,GreenCloud,growled viciously at him. He backed away and GreenCloud went back to being quiet and shy,getting a friend of hers to help her with the doe. They both dragged it over to the pile,and then HealingWing pulled the buck over to the slim pile of food the pack had. The pack howled happily together. StarLight then walked over to the wolf that had told her about the animals dying.
"So how are all the animals dying?" StarLight questioned. The wolf was a red and green coloured male,and he was very polite.
"Well Star,apparently this morning,a couple of the apprentices found a burrow filled with dead rabbits. When the rabbits were ripped open,they were filled with maggots. It was disgusting,and the apprentices do not want to ever go hunting again. Of course that will fade,but everyone is watching what they eat,and not in the dietary form." When he finished, StarLight looked shook.
"So were the rabbits freshly killed?"
"Yes,that we know of they were. The past night it looked like." StarLight nodded.
"Thank you um..." StarLight trailed off not knowing his name.
"GreenFlame." He smiled sweetly and trotted off.
"Thanks GreenFlame." StarLight muttered.