Chapter Eight

"We have apples, turkey sandwiches, and carrots," Lea says, opening the mini fridge.
"Take what you want."
Ellis snatches two turkey sandwiches right away. I take a sandwich and an apple.
"Thanks," I say to Lea as I walk back into the room.
"No problem."
"Food vans used to come around this city every month," says Valencia. "But now, they obviously don't." She starts typing away on a computer.
Van. I think back to Sarah. I think back to how she was thrown onto a van.
"How'd you even escape that place?" Lea asks, biting into an apple.
I stop thinking.
"Well, I kicked open my cell door," starts Ellis, "and I found a piece of broken glass and used it to unlock Beatrix's door. Boom. Out."
"I met this guy," I interrupt, "named Noah. He led me to the weapons which helped us escape."
"Where is he now?" Rick asks.
I gulp, "he was... shot."
Valencia stands up, shocked. "I'm so sorry, Beatrix."
I look at the floor.
No one speaks.
"So what's the plan?" Ellis asks, breaking the silence.
"What plan?" Lea responds, confused. "The plan was just going to be us living the rest of our lives out in here."
I look at Ellis. "Sarah."
"Sarah?" Lea, Valencia, and Rick say simultaneously, "who's that?"
I remember my mission to get her back.
"She's my little sister," I say, tightening my belt and walking towards the door. "And she was taken by some stupid men."
"Do you know where she was taken to?" Rick asks.
"No. The words on the side of the van were in-- like Chinese or somethin'." I open the door and walk out, looking both ways.
"Beatrix!" Ellis grabs my arm, "wait."
"There's no time to wait!" I exclaim.
"We just got here." He responds. "Don't you think we could stay a little longer?"
"Rick and Valencia, it's been a pleasure, and thank you Lea for saving my life. I do hope you understand I need to go."
I rip my arm out of Ellis' grip and start to walk.
"Give her a few seconds," Ellis mutters to Lea.
"One, two, three, fou--"
"I don't know where the hell I'm going!" I yell, putting my hands to my head.
Lea looks at Ellis, impressed.
"Told you," he grins at her.
"I do," Lea says, walking towards me.
"What?" I respond.
"I know where to go." She throws me a phone. "But it's a long ways away."
I look back at Ellis and smile, his mouth wide open.
"You can come with us, you know."
He blinks a few times.
"Uhhh sure. Let's... go." He starts walking toward us.
"Don't forget your gun," Lea says.
I hear footsteps running back into the building.
"Okay. Now I'm ready."