Chapter Four

I turn away from Noah and start to run again, with Ellis by my side.
"This way," he says, directing me with his hand around my waist.
"You know where you're going?" I ask, impressed.
"Not a fucking clue," he responds. We grin at each other-- for a bit too long.
"Ahh!" We fall onto an armed guard.
"Um, hi!" I say, shakingly. He finally realizes who we are and his eyes widen.
"HEY! THEY'RE OVER HE--" before he could finish, I stab him in the head with one of my knives.
"Oh. My. God. What have I done!" I stand up and start to pace. "What have I done! What have I done! What have done!"
"Beatrix!" yells Ellis, "we have to go! Don't worry about him. He would have gladly killed you."
"I'm so sorry, sir!" I apologize to the dead man. "Ellis!" I whisper, "what if he had a family?"
"Beatrix," he says, cupping my cheeks in his hands, "he. was. going. to. kill. you. Now let's go."
     We make a right, running on a metal bridge.
     "Could this bridge be any louder?" Ellis says, sarcastically.
     "BOOM!"
     "BANG!"
     "Gunshots!" Ellis yells, pulling me to the floor.
     "Ow, man," I say, rubbing my elbow, "next time tell me when you're about to save my life."
     No response. I turn to Ellis and see him looking around carefully.
     "All clear," he states. "Let's go. Wait. Beatrix. Do you see those doors over there?" He points to two cement doors 50 feet away from us. "That's probably our way out."
     He looks at me smiling. He helps me up and we run the fastest we ever have before.
     "On the count of three, we're gonna burst through those doors, okay?" Ellis says.
     "Um, okay," I say, still running the fastest I ever have.
     "Shoulder toward the door, Beatrix," he reminds me, "one, two, three!"
     We burst through the doors and find a man sitting in a chair with screens everywhere.
     "Shit. Control room." Ellis whispers, but the man already heard us break through the doors.
     "He's not armed," I tell Ellis as we sprint out of the room.
     "Yes, I know," Ellis says, "but he can contact people who are."
     We make a few more good turns, until we make the wrong one. We come face-to-face with a group of guards, and another group comes from the left. 
     "Drop your weapons!" A guard yells, pointing his gun at us.
     I see Ellis drop his weapon, so I drop my belt of knives, too. 
     "ELLIS!" I say as they pull us away from each other, "NO!"
     "Beatrix, don't worry about me." He starts to wave is left hand under the grip of the guard. He waves it twice. Then he waves his right hand once.
     I look at him, confused. But before I can ask what that was, we are dragged away from each other.
     My gun.
     I still have my gun.