Chapter Nine

Above are what the characters look like! Yes I have noticed that Noah does not have a scar on his face-- just try to ignore that:)

     Ellis catches up to us.
     "Damn, Lea. I thought you wanted to stay back."
     Lea keeps her gaze forward. "One thing you should know about me is that I change my mind a lot."
     "Ha. No kidding," he mutters.
     "Don't get on my nerves, little one."
     "And what happens if I do?" He smirks at Lea.
     Lea grabs his arms, wraps them around his body, and throws him to the ground.
     "That." She smiles and continues walking.
     "So, Beatrix," she turns her face to me. "Where ya from?"
     "Chicago," I respond.
     "I'm from here," she states. "It's hard not to see people everywhere. That's what I grew up around-- people everywhere." She sighs and kicks the dusty ground.
     "Where are we going anyways?" I ask.
     "Sorry, I haven't really told you yet. We're going southwest to Manhattan. I know a guy who might recognize the van you were talking about." She puts something in her ear.
     "This," she taps the tiny, black earpiece, "lets me communicate with Rick and Valencia. They will make sure we are going the right way."
     "Hey."
     I turn to my left and see that Ellis has caught up to us.
     "Damnit," Lea says, "I thought you went back."
     He rolls his eyes. "Where are we going, anyway?"
     "If you caught up to us quicker, you would know," I say to Ellis.
     "Well. You guys are nice."
     "Over there!" Lea exclaims, not even acknowledging what Ellis said.
     I look to my right and see a tall building far off. I feel my feet hit something soft. Sand. I look around and see that we have just entered a desert.
     "Desert?" I say, confused. "Since when was there a desert in Boston?"
     "Since the wind strike dried up all of the grass," Lea explains.
     It's silent the rest of the way. We finally reach the building. Lea kicks open the big, dusty door.
     "And we're in," she says, holding her gun up just in case.
     I take a seat in one of the dusty chairs. I feel something under me.
     "What the hell!" I exclaim, feeling under me. I feel something hard.
     "AH!" I scream and jump up.
     Lea wipes the dust away and discovers a body.
     "Holy shit!" Ellis exclaims.
     "Not what I was expecting." I wipe the dust off of my body. "I'll just stand for now."
     "I'm gonna check this place out," Lea says as she walks up the creaky staircase. "You guys stay down here."
     "So, B, what's up?" Ellis asks me as he sits down on the floor, his elbows on his knees.
     "I don't really know how to answer that question," I say, looking around. "But at the moment, nothin much."
     He gets up.
     "I dunno," he starts, "I think a lot has been happening."
     He walks towards me and pins me against the wall, again.
     "Is pinning girls against walls your thing?" I ask, sarcastically.
     "Maybe it is, maybe it's not," he smiles at me and looks into my eyes. "Did I ever thank you for saving me from those guards?"
     "Not that I recall," I respond, running my hand down his chest.
     He leans in, our faces one inch apart.
     Before we touch, I knee him in the gut. Not that hard, but hard enough to make him pull back.
     "I never said I needed to be thanked."
     He scratches his head and laughs. "Wow B. You sure know how to make a guy want you."