Chapter 8

"As far as I can tell, it's not going very well so far." A voice whispered. It continued to speak, but its words were quieter and less understandable now.

Adrien sat up in bed, rubbing his tired green eyes. It was 2:30 in the morning, and he thought he was hearing voices. One of them sounded like Plagg, but the other was high, airy, and unfamiliar.

I swear, Plagg, if you're trying to order 50 pounds of Camembert over the phone again, you're dead. You hear me? Dead! Adrien thought to himself as he tiptoed out of bed. Eventually, he located the source of the voices. One was definitely Plagg, but there was another shape that was roughly the same size.

"Plagg." Adrien said firmly. Both shapes turned around, gasping. The unfamiliar one ducked behind the nearest object.

"Ah, Adrien!" Plagg faked innocence. "I was just having a midnight snack! Why are you awake?"

"I heard you talking to someone." Adrien crossed his arms and raised his eyebrows.

"Oh, yeah." Plagg laughed nervously. "I was just uh... talking to my uh...my Camembert."

The other shape emerged from where it was hiding. "Plagg, just tell him the truth." It said in a small voice.

"Fine." Plagg sighed and switched on a desk lamp. He gestured to a red-and-black creature. "Adrien, this is Tikki. She's Ladybug's kwami."

"Hi!" Tikki smiled. "It's nice to finally meet you."

Adrien looked at the two adorable kwamis. "Hi, Tikki. It's nice to meet you, too." He sat down in a chair. "So what's going on?"

Tikki sighed sadly. "When Ladybug got hurt, I followed you home. If I went with her, I'd be found. And... she doesn't remember me. It would be a lot for her to take in right now. I've been here for the last few days."

Adrien nodded. "I agree. Marinette can't take this right now. You can stay here for now. So, what's the plan?"

"Well, I've been watching you and Marinette." Plagg explained. "We're going to give her a few days and see if she can remember anything on her own first."

"And if not," Tikki continued, "I'll go introduce myself to her anyway. Paris can't go on much longer without Ladybug. So I'll explain things to Marinette. She'll be Ladybug again. But you'll have to help her. She won't remember what to do. She was chosen to be Ladybug for a reason. She still has it in her, whether she remembers it or not."