Surprise at the shelter (Ch. 8)

Chapter eight:

Today was going to be a good day for Jack and the people at the Rockford homeless shelter; a local church was going to donate food, water, and even clothing. Plus it just so happens that Harley attends that church.

A velvet red church bus parked beside the Rockford homeless shelter. The bus was titled by its church’s name “Living Water, Christ for Nations Church”.  A load of children young and old climbed out of the bus and waited in line, following the requests of their youth leaders.  Ben, Harley’s son, was among the crowd of his fellow youth friends. He and the rest of the children must choose which person inside the shelter they’d hand out to.

Harley’s point of view:

“Mom, where’s my food-basket?” My boy complained, unwilling to remain quiet while waiting for his turn to be handed a nicely wrapped food-basket the church made up. Ben was squirming to get this over with, which of course, makes me very displeased; I’ve tried telling him that if he were in those people’s positions he would wait however long it took without making a single peep, but he has a set mind.

“Just wait for your turn, honey.”  I stated waiting in line with him, standing by his side the whole time. I’ve talked to him all week about this and he hasn’t been himself since; if I even as much as mention it he would squirm. All he would usually do was either change the subject or return short sentences— which most of the time I do not tolerate easily.

After Joanna, one of our church’s youth leaders, handed out all the baskets to the youth and other adults that tagged along; we were finally ready to go into the shelter and give to the homeless.  Once taking the first step in, a large crowd of poor and helpless people came into view. I was glad we were doing this, the sight was just heartbreaking.

“Mom, I want to go home— these people stink!” My son commented, upsetting me once again, which, I was sure it wasn’t going to be the last…for today anyway.

“Ben, be nice and show these people some respect…you’re a whole lot better off than they are. You are blessed.” I scolded, hoping to teach him a lesson, but just like before he didn’t really care. Whenever he gets into a situation like this, that’s when he’ll care, I hate to admit.

Then, I got myself back on track and resumed my search for which person I would like to give to. I looked over each person carefully; I knew I needed to act fast when I saw the others handing out so quickly. And that was when I spotted…Jack.I had no idea he was still staying here, not to mention forgetting that I even paid his way here.

“My mind slips away too easily lately.” I thought, staring at him.  

Jack’s point of view:

I was suddenly wakened once all the room’s lights came on, causing me and a few others to groan. My eyes squinted, trying to adjust to the light setting in the blank room. I raised up out of the floor hearing my back snap, which meant I laid too stiff last night. I looked up at the wall clock and it read nine o’clock; which tells me I’ve only gotten four hours of sleep between now and ten o’clock last night.

I began combing back my hair to at least make myself look decent. If someone saw how I looked they’d probably faint because they thought they saw a zombie.

Then all of a sudden a large group of kids flooded the room once walking through the shelter’s entrance, of course with adult supervision, but where in the world did all these kids come from? And why were they here? I hoped they weren’t homeless because there was absolutely no way you could fit them all in this one room, it was already packed to the roof.