Hired (Ch. 13)

Chapter thirteen:

After a few days of settling in, Jack finally got his driver’s license renewed; next on the list would be getting his medical license back. But before he can do that, he needs a job to make enough money to buy an apartment; then eventually earn enough to buy a house – once working at a hospital that is. – But right now Jack needs his own place; he can’t keep living with Eddie and Kayla, even though they don’t mind him there.  

Jack came down the stairs, cleaned up, just showered, and well dressed; today he’s going job hunting. He noticed Eddie on the phone, it sounded like he was talking business with someone. Jack searched for Kayla; he needed someone to fix his tie, but she had already gone to work herself, and so far Jack has gotten the tie in knots. So – waiting for Eddie to hang up – he decided to listen in on the phone conversation.  “Alright….Okay…..Thank you so much.” Was all Jack heard on Eddie’s end before he hung the phone up. “Great news!”  Eddie yelled with an outburst of excitement, facing Jack with a wide grin.

“What?” Jack replied curiously with his hands fixed in the burgundy colored tie, helplessly trying to make himself look decent.

“You got yourself a job offer; I was just on the phone with my brother’s sister-in-law ‘Zoey’ and she said that the taxi company they own down at Vencet Carlo are hiring, pays nine dollars an hour for newbies, said they’d love to have you! She said she’d like a meeting with you today, if possible.” Eddie explained, excitement bubbling in his voice, with a smile that spoke cheer and success. But Jack didn’t know what to think; he’s not the best at driving and he doesn’t do well having to putting up with others, plus driving is sort of new to him since he just got his license back; how was he going to keep that kind of job?

“My meeting with the Board of Medical Directory isn’t till one o’clock; I can try and swing both today though.” Jack replied, remaining unsure of the situation, but if their hiring…why not? “She happen to give a specific time?” He asked, making his way into the kitchen for a cup of coffee – black, no cream or sugar being his favorite, he poured himself some into a small mug. – Eddie follows him in and replies:

“Any time before noon.” Eddie answered, fixing himself a coffee too. The Eddie suddenly started to stare at the casually dress man before him; something unusual for someone who has recently been homeless, forcing Jack to question him: 

“Something wrong?”  Jack asks when looking down and surveying his shirt to see if he might have spilt or dropped something on it. 

Eddie smiled.

“Nope; just glad to see you back on your feet, plus I haven’t seen you this spiffy in a while.” He chuckled before taking a sip of coffee – Eddie liked his with cream and sugar. – 

“Well I guess I should get going to that meeting with your brother’s sister-in-law, don’t want my job-offer seat getting cold.” Jack joked after downing his coffee, and finally fixing his tie, the hot liquid leaving a nice burning touch on his throat. 

“Yeah, you don’t wanna keep Zoey waiting either.” Eddie joked back with sneer in his tone before gulping his hot drink of overly-loaded creamed coffee. 

Jack's point of view:

Good ol' Eddie's got me a job, didn't really have Taxi service in mind, but if it pays nine bucks an hour I'm in. Besides, who doesn’t love getting paid to drive New Yorkers around? Have them screaming at you and what not, since I tend to drive slow anyhow, New Yorkers like the fast track, which we're all in a hurry nowadays so who could blame them? 

Thanks to Eddie, I get to look nice and clean today; he lent me a formally casual suit jacket, tie, dress pants, and shirt; turns out we wear the same size in everything, what luck. Perhaps my luck is changing, and I'm not saying I believe in leprechaun's, or that guy on the back of a Lucky Charms Cereal box; I'm saying for once in my life things are actually going good, and that's kind of scary to think about.