Living on the streets (Ch. 3)

Chapter three:

“I’ve got the sweetest little girl in the world.”  Jack thought without removing his lasting gaze of the small child in front of him. He watched her as she ate and enjoyed her ice cream with her beautiful sparkled eyes roaming him.  The young child named “Brittany” smiled at her daddy; reminding him of her mother’s smile. There were a lot of details in young Brittany’s face that reminded Jack of her mother, details he can never forget; they shared features like, long brown hair, rosy red cheeks, an amazing smile, and beautiful brown eyes to top it all off. Jack thought he had never seen such a beautiful child. He just knew she got her looks from her mother, the most loving and amazing mother in the world. 

He knew he would never forget her cute giggle; the giggle that always seemed to cheer him up when he was down. The hugs she gave him; hugs that warmed his heart and relived all the pain he was feeling. Brittany’s sweet voice, endless amount of words inside one little girl; it always seemed to calm Jack whenever he was angry. And the tender smiles she gave him; smiles that made him smile. Jack wondered how he got such an amazing daughter, why she was all his and no one else’s, how he got to be so blessed. 

Jack smiled widely at her as she was near to finishing her favorite ice cream, vanilla and chocolate swirl.  His big smile made her laugh, making tears of joy to begin building in his eyes. “I love you, baby girl.” He whispered to her in a small calm voice, with his heart melting.

“I love you too, daddy.” She replied with a giggle in her voice, causing a knot to develop in her father’s throat.

Then suddenly, Brittany started to cry, for some unknown reason.

“What’s wrong, sweetheart?” He asked her quickly becoming concerned. His heart began to race as her crying continued

It was as if she was scared.

“Daddy!” She cried and began to point to behind him.

“What is it, baby? Talk to, daddy.” He said becoming worried at what she feared.

“…Look.” She cried, continuing to point.

Jack closed his eyes and cleared his throat as he inhaled a large breath.

Then he slowly turned around.

It seemed to Jack it would have better to not have looked in the direction his daughter pointed to; there, only to find something terrifying, awful, and horrible, Jack’s heart plummeted.Brittany pointed at a solid black figure; aiming a gun at her. Jack recognized the dark figure; it was his worst nightmare, the demon that caused his world to collapse and shatter. “What do you want, Jackson?” He asked with nervousness in his voice.

“Wake up, Jack…” The dark figured now known as Jackson answered. “Wake up…” He commanded again.

“It isn’t real.”Something whispered into Jack’s ear.

“None of this is real.” Jack replied to him. Then suddenly everything turned white, and the familiar sounds of New York City filled his ears.

“Wake up! Hey, buddy, wake up!”

“Give it up man, he’s probably dead.” Jack opened his eyes to find two young men standing before him.

“Just another dream.” He thought.

“Wait I think he’s waking up.” He heard the man on the left say.

Jack’s point of view:

Once coming out of a nightmare that actually started out good; I hear the good ol’ sounds of New York City surrounding me, and these two men yelling at me to wake up. My vision was burled and fuzzy, making it hard to identify the two men; weather they were young, old, cops. “Wait I think he’s waking up.”

“Do I know you?!” I snap making them jump.

“See he ain’t dead. What’s the story, Frank? We found you down this alley all curled up against this wall.” I huffed trying to expose my irritation; haven’t these guys ever seen a homeless person?

“I’m homeless. Say, got any spare change so I can call a friend?” I plead hoping they would hand me a few quarters. They both reach into their pockets and begin digging for change.

“Give us one second, Frank.” One said and reached into his other pocket. “Ah ha! Here ya’ go, buddy.” The nice man handed me four quarters.

“Thanks for everything.” I say as I stand to my feet; feeling an awful pain in my back, sleeping on a hard brick wall for three days probably caused it.

“No problem, man. Just glad we didn’t find you dead.” One said, though, I could have disagreed; I’d much rather be lying dead somewhere.

Then the two kind gentlemen walked away and went about their business. Then I realized I had forgot to ask them about a pay phone. I walked slowly out of the alley when suddenly I realized I also hadn’t eaten in three days, which explained why my stomach started growling. My need for food quickly became an issue for energy after walking a few blocks; I became slow, tired, and very weak. That was when I spotted a hotdog cart right beside a pay phone; which was I to decided? Try to call Eddie then fall over from lack of energy?

"I think I’ll take the hotdog." I thought as my stomach made a hungry growl.

“How much do you want for a dog…with extra onions?”  I ask starring down the cart full of delicious elements that completed one mouthwatering hotdog that I would kill for right now.

“One dollar, sir.”  The vender answered, noticing my anxiousness. I pull out the only four quarters to my name and glanced at the nearby pay phone, wondering if I should spend my money on a phone call or a tasty hotdog.

“Do you take change?” I asked, feeling myself becoming weaker.

Thankfully his reply was: “Yeah.”

I then placed the money in his cupped hand and he began to fix my hotdog.

“Enjoy.”  He said, reaching one good looking hotdog to me using both extended hands.

Before you could say “extra onions”; half of the hotdog was on its way down to my stomach. The hotdog was great, delicious even, but now I have no phone call and no place to stay, and I probably won’t survive long on the streets begging for change.  At least the food helped me regain my energy; the more energy I have the further I can walk. I’m going to need it.

It’s going to be another long hard day.