8

The festival was still in full swing. Every tribe in all the land now had now made their way to the capital city. Prayer were in progress, people traded their goods for others. Festive dance was joined in as traditional songs and music ensued.

Fumnaya, though he would have like to stay in bed, knew he could not. He dressed once more in his golden finery. But there was a likeness now, one that gleamed in his eyes as much as his jewelry. His dull blues were no longer dull but now filled with a growing contentment that baffled even him. He sat at his throne with a flourish, the jangling of his metals was all that was heard as he took his seat.

The tilt to his chin, the slight smile on his lips, the amusement on his face was obvious. His mother noticed, his father as well. The servants no longer steered clear of him with fear of angering him for there was satisfaction in his every movement now.

"You are no longer frustrated, my prince?" His mother asked, appraising him with a knowing look.

"I have no reason to be."

The king made a slight grunt of approval, glad to his sun rid of his foul mood. "Your mother has told me of the seer that has stolen your attentions. You will show her to me, this girl that has caused you such ardent emotion."

Fumnaya nodded, "Of course, father."

The king raised his hand and the dancing grew more fervent as people began to throw rice corn husks. Singer grew louder, hymns of old sung with new melodies sounding new to those who had never heard it before.

Offerings were left for the spirits and the god's and the earth. Many bowed before the royal court and showed them their talents or gave them presents in the form of gold or silver or blankets of silk and cotton.

And suddenly standing before them was Ife's grandmother and sister. The old woman had a tender smile on her and a walking stick clutched close to her chest. They both bowed before the old woman pushed the younger girl forward. Fumnaya watched with a raised brow, noticing the look of hesitation on the young girl's face.

She fell onto her knees before him, lifting up what appeared to be several different bags of tea leaves. "I present these for you to enjoy with my sister." She said with a shaky voice.

"My granddaughter will be happy to have them," the old woman said with a knowing sparkle in her blind eyes. "Do enjoy them with her."

Fumnaya reached for what the girl offered, taking the pouches. "I will be sure to do just that."

As the girl moved away, the old woman, though blind, turned her attention to Fumnaya, as if truly seeing him. "My Ife is an enigma, this I know. Should you need words to soothe her, find me." And with that they disappeared into the crowd.

The queen's attention on Fumnaya as well, excitement on her face. "Now that you have found your claim to be a seer, I would request that you let me see her. I would like another reading, for mine was cut by your arrival." She reached for the king's hand, squeezing it, "And your father shall like to see her gift performed."

The king made a face of exasperation but did not want to downplay his wife's eagerness.

Fumnaya chuckled, his hands tightening around the pouches he had been given. "I will present her to you tonight at the moon rising."

His promise appeased them and their attentions were once more divided onto the guest who stepped forward. Fumnaya, on the other hand, was remembering the gleam in the woman's eyes. Eyes that were so much like Ife's in the sense that she had seen right through him.

Ife allowed herself to be pulled from the large golden tub. For the first time in her life she had had no control over herself. She had been bathed by two servant girls with curious questions and gentle fingers.

"You are the prince's new bed partner?" One them asked as she dried Ife's back with a soft cloth.

Ife bristled, "I do not know what I am to be here."

The other girl asked with sudden confusion, "But you share his bed, don't you? You have felt his embrace! How can you not know?"

"Because I do not wish to be anything for him!" Ife snapped, catching them both off guard.

"Ae you mad? No woman would deny a member of the crown! You must be sick!"

"I am not sick...I want to help him, I want to cure what ails his spirit but I do not want to share his bed. I had not wished to be held by someone who does not love me."

One of the girls frowned, "You would denounce the Princes' affection merely because he does not love you? He has already proclaimed you to be his and not only that, he has also said of you to be his favorite lover. You are seen as important, as someone on noble ground. For you to reject such a gift...You are a fool."

"Then a fool I must be," Ife said with finality just as the cloth acting as a door was pushed aside. Fumnaya walked his eyes falling the three of them. Ife turned, snatching the large drying cloth from the women and wrapping herself in it.

Fumnaya nodded toward the door, and the two women bowed before departing. He stopped them, "Do not go far."

They said their understanding before leaving them be.

He moved toward Ife, amusement on his face. She had wrapped herself tightly in the cloth, trying to hide her nakedness from him. Yet hers was a body that he had already seen, explored every inch of, kissed every corner of.

Sitting on the golden tub was a bottle of rose scented oil to be used on her skin. He grabbed it and approached her, taking a hold of her arm. She did not fight him, nor protest as he sat on his bed with a flourish, pulling her down between his legs.

It was when he attempted to remove the cloth from her body that she objected. "No! Have you not had enough?" She cried with indignation.

He merely grabbed a fistful of the cloth and ripped it from her hold, baring her naked body before him. There was look of horror on her face, her eyes wide.

"You do not dictate to me." He warned as he opened the bottle and yanked her onto her knees between his legs. She gaze upon him, her hair of wool cascading around her shoulders and falling against her face, framing it.