Placement of Hate (1)

Poison Ink

Chapter 1 - Placement of Hate

My mother would always say that “hate” is a strong word and to never use it. Well, then I’d have to say that I loathe, despise, detest, and am repulsed by Mr. Linden. He’s a creepy old man who keeps to himself and fits the stereotype of “that grumpy old man who tells kids to get off his lawn.” He gives people the evil eye even if all they do is glance in his direction. He has no self-respect and lives like a rotting pig (or so I've heard.)

No-one has actually been in his house, and that is why I'm here (about to go into his house) well, that's part of the reason. The other reason is because my neighbor (Johnny F Wilmington,) dared me to sneak into Mr. Linden’s house late at night, and I have to take a picture inside to prove it. He believes that I can't because I'm a girl. I laugh at his remark, any girl could outsmart him in a second, and quite frankly a mentally challenged pig could as well. I say that not as an insult, but as a fact. I tell him that and he gives me a death glare.

He has quite the supply of cash, so he made me a bet, I follow along with the dare and he’ll give me 100 dollars, and he’ll admit that girls are better then boys. 100 dollars is a lot of money in my family, it can help with buying food. You see, my family is what some people would call; poor, the only reason we live in a big house is because it was passed down from my great aunt. We were her only remaining family so she decided to give it to us before she died. If I lose the bet he’ll tell everyone at my school my current living condition. He’s just awful like that.

You may have gotten the impression that I go around insulting people, but that's not true! I don’t normally insult people so much, it’s just that I'm in a rather crabby mood considering the fact that I'm about to enter Mr. Linden’s house. I wonder what the inside looks like! Will it be as dirty and unkempt as the outside? Will it be filled with dusty cobwebs and spiders? These ideas run through my mind as I take a step across the grass. My heart is racing; I take a few deep breaths (trying to calm myself.) I try to remind myself why I'm doing this. I try to think of the benefits to all of this. I hold my breath as I take a step forward.