Close Call (5)

Poison Ink

Chapter 5 - Close Call

I hear a loud voice coming from downstairs, “Wake up sweetie,” my mother sings.

I roll my eyes, why is she acting so nice? “Okay” I yell back, I quickly splash some water onto my face. I walk down the stairs cautiously, I see my mother with a HUGE grin on her face, it seems suspiciously like a grimace. I’m about to ask her why she was being so nice to me earlier, when I notice a man in a uniform next to her. It is a police officer!

“Have you forgotten to pay your bills again,” I say laughing uncertainly. She smiles sweetly and says, “No actually this officer wanted to know if you knew anything about a break in at Mr. Linden’s house, and about a book that was stolen.”

I look at her and shake my head vigorously, “No I have nothing to do with that,” then I turn to the officer and say “honest.” He just laughs and says, “Okay, okay you don’t have to get so worked up, I wasn’t accusing you of anything.”

I smile nervously, I can feel my palms sweating, I rub my forehead trying to rid my self of any excess sweat. I bite down on my lip, hard, I can’t risk blurting out and telling the officer everything. I cross my fingers behind my back then look up to see the officer thanking my mother for her cooperation, and then he walks out the door.

Phew, I think, everything is over! I gasp in realization, if the officer interviewed me then maybe he’s going to interview Johnny! Johnny would surely tell him it was me, trying to avoid any blame. No, Ishake my head even Johnny wouldn’t do that, or would he? I have no idea what Johnny is capable of, I have only lived here for a short period of time. He could be an ax murderer or even a barbie doll collector for all I know.

He can’t blame you if he’s the perpetrator, a disturbing voice says. I shake my head ,I wouldn’t frame Johnny, that would be cruel. Then you will be the one blamed, a creepy voice whispers, I don’t want to admit it but the voice is painfully accurate. What am I going to do? Frame Johnny, turn myself in, or disappear forever. Unfortunately, the last option is unavailable. I sigh, how am I going to get myself out of this one?