Is The Prize Worth The Price (4)

Poison Ink

Chapter 4 - Is The Prize Worth The Price

Sun shines through my window, I momentarily forget about what happened last night, and then, it all comes rushing back in a blur. After I ran back home I fell asleep next to my bed, I was still wearing my shoes and my hands were rubbed raw. I surveyed my body for any other signs of damage.

Nothing, I am fine, well, physically fine; I still could't believe what had happened last night. I pushed my self up to my bed, I am about to go to sleep when I notice a hole in my jeans. Actually, make that TWO huge holes, my mom was going to kill me!We couldn’t afford new jeans, and then I smiled; now we could afford 10 new jeans!!! I had won the bet! I stuffed my dirty clothes deep into my closet and grabbed a clean t-shirt and some clean looking pants. At least I think they were clean, knowing my family they could have been anywhere.

I look to the floor of my bedroom, a book is there! I shake my head in confusion where did it come from I think to myself... then I remember, I used it to break the window of Mr. Linden’s library; he was going to be furious! I look to the spine of the book, it’s says “Poison Ink!” Darn it I think, this treacherous book follows me everywhere, why is fate so cruel? I don’t want to curse someone or myself!

What if they deserve the curse, a spine-chilling voice says. I turn my head to the side, what was that, I must be going crazy, I shake my head trying to make the vile suggestion disappear. Nobody deserves a curse, except maybe Johnny F,he should be taught a lesson… No!

My voice of better judgment over powers me, I CAN’T do that, and I WON’T do that!

I’m better then that, then you shall be cursed I hear a sickly sweet voice whisper.

I can’t take it anymore, I throw the book through the window willing last nights events to have just been a dream, but I know it really happened I have the cuts and bruises to prove it. I climb onto my bed huddling beside my pillow sobbing silently.

What have I done? An evil laugh echoes in my head, I cover my ears and close my eyes… willing it all to stop, but it doesn’t. I can still hear the laugh; it is permanently embedded into my soul.