twelve

"Foxpaw, think fast!" Dipperflight ducked quickly as a moss ball was flashed through the air, the ginger tabby Foxpaw leaping and snatching from the sky without a moment to waste

        "Owlheart, if you're going to play games, please take them where you won't possibly be hitting an unsuspecting warrior." Owlheart waved his tail dismissively as a black and white she-cat chastised him.

"Nonsense, Rookchaser, I'm just training my apprentice to be quick on his paws!" The gray and white tom head-butted the dark furred she-cat.

"No way, if Hazelstream gets hit by a long toss I'll toss you into the river!" Stormcall growled. Dipperflight quietly watched the RiverClan activity around him. He sat in a circle of Stormcall and Hazelstream, as well as now-friendly Breamclaw and the gray and white tabby tom's sister Yarrowfur.

      "My passes are always on point! Watch this...!" Owlheart summoned Foxpaw, who brought the moss ball back before dashing out to the middle of camp to receive it. The long-haired, mostly gray with white tom dramatically took a step back before tossing it into the air, swatting it across to Foxpaw, who had gotten distracted by a kit exiting the nursery. "Oh, watch out--!" Owlheart started, fur fluffed up as the soft moss scrap hit into an unsuspecting Sagecloud. The gray tabby's fur fluffed up as he was hit, and looked over his shoulder from where he sat talking with Ravenpaw.

       Dipperflight stood, craning his neck to get a better look.

       "Ooh. Owlheart, you better be haring it to the river, 'cause Sagecloud'll probably drag you in your sleep to a badger den or something." Stormcall joked from where he lay snugged against his larger counterpart Hazelstream.

      "Sagecloud, friend, it was an accident, it's just Foxpaw's always getting a little, um, you know how he is...," Owlheart backed up slowly, laughing nervously. Sagecloud padded toward the tom, blinking slowly and sweetly as he did so, his tail swishing playfully.

       "Now, I personally--"

        "Newtkit! Sedgecloud, look, Newtkit's out of the nursery!" Foxpaw's squealed. Dipperflight turned his attention from the Owlheart to Foxpaw, who was happily jumping up and down as a young tortoiseshell she-cat watched him with soft yellow-green eyes.

"That's Foxpaw's sister," Hazelstream explained, his long light brown tabby fur damp from the fishing patrol he had just returned from earlier. "She's been pretty sickly, and was too sick when she was supposed to become an apprentice a moon ago." He groomed Stormcall's ear fur.

"Hey, Dipperflight, do you have any siblings back in ThunderClan?" Breamclaw asked brightly, the carcass of a fish discarded a mouse-length from his paws. The dark tabby shook his head.

"No littermates. My mother had had a kit a while before she had me, but they died as an apprentice. Cedarpaw..?" Breamclaw's calico sister nodded quickly.