Chapter 6 : Trouble At Work

LATISHA'S POV:

It's five in the evening and Naomi is still frisking through my wardrobe hoping for some miracle to happen, and to be able to pick out at least one presentable attire which I could wear to work. 

But, much to her disappointment, all she can find is a bunch of outfits which are either too boring for her taste, or have lost their charm after been repeatedly worn by me.

"Naomi, it's fine. I will just wear anything. It, anyway, doesn't matter", I say, unavailingly trying to persuade her to give in. 

Ever since I have told her about last night's events at work, she is headstrong and determined about me wooing Juan with my 'killer' looks. Little does she know how much pun that phrase holds, and the fact that there is no room for any such thing between us. 

Juan hates me from the core of his heart.

"Just keep quiet, will you?", she shushes me yet again and, meticulously, sets back to the task. 

After bugging herself for fifteen more minutes and not being able to select any of the dresses I have, she finally holds her hands up.

"You have the worst wardrobe possible, Lati", she says petulantly. 

"I told you—you wouldn't find anything in it. And honestly, I don't want to try whatever is going on in your head. I am very much satisfied with my clothes. So leave it."

"When things are not under your control, necessity weighs heavier than will", she says admonishing me. "Get ready. We will be leaving in ten minutes."

"If I may ask so, where do you think are we going?"

"Shopping, of course", she says nonchalantly.

"No." I try to make my voice as firm as I can.

"Yes."

"No."

"Shut up."

And the discussion is over....

***

"Naomi, I am not wearing this", I say strictly rejecting the decollete outfit. "For for God's sake, it's my work place!"

"But Lat-", she tries to say but I stop her.

"No", I say pronouncing both syllables slowly, and clearly.

Finally, after surfing through nearly dozens of shops, Naomi and I agree to settle on a clingy, sleeveless, white crop top, with a not-so-short red skater skirt along with a thin black belt, and a black and white infinity scarf.  She also selects matching black stilettos which look absolutely stunning with the outfit.

"Wear this and make him drool over you", she says flipping her hair dramatically, and making both of us burst out into fits of laughter.

Once Naomi is content with the stuff that we have bought, she drives us back to our flat. As soon as the car comes to a halt, I rush to my room stacked with shopping bags.

I quickly change into the new clothes, and footwear. I refrain myself from doing much with my hair, or face as the dress in itself is a bit over than I'd like. I simply apply eyeliner and lipgloss, and let the locks of my hair fall loose on my shoulders.

For a moment, I stand in front of the mirror and gaze at my own reflection, not being able to recognise the person. 

The girl behind the mirror looks beautiful and confident. She is not wearing some boring formals, nor does she have any dark circles under her eyes. She looks fresh, ready to make the world bow to her.