Prologue

Another town, another home, another life.

Adjusting the backpack on my shoulder as I walked down the hall, those who saw me stared curiously, but I kept my eyes scanning the numbers on the door. I paused as I got to the end of the hall - 506. I swung my bag over my one shoulder and started to dig through it until I found my keys. I slid it into the lock and after a minute of awkward jerking and pulling, the key finally worked and the door opened. I stepped inside slightly relieved and I walked over to the bed and dropped my bag down.

The room was small, about 10x12 feet, and it only had enough room for a wardrobe, desk, and a single bed. The walls were a white stone and there was a small window above my bed; it was good enough. At this point I was happy to have a place to stay, especially this late in the semester.

I took a deep breath and relaxed for the first time. The comfort was short lived as I finally got a whiff from my clothes. Sleeping in the back of my truck and driving for three days straight wasn't the most pleasant smell and I groaned realizing I needed a shower. I started to peel my tank top off and slid off my pants, leaving them to fall on the floor before I headed to the bathroom. Thankfully I had a room with a bathroom attached, and towels were already hung up. I shut the door and removed the last items of the clothing as I stepped into the shower.

The hot water felt amazing and I stood under the spray from the shower head, letting the water warm me up. I didn't remember the last time I had a hot shower and I was going to stand under the water until I was a prune. I ran my fingers through my silver white hair and tilted my head back. For a moment I let myself forget, forget about every bad thing that happened. When my eyes were closed the past I had been running from slowly started to bubble back up to the surface. My stomach knotted and even with my eyes closed I could still remember what he looked like. Erik laid on the ground with his head twisted at an unnatural angle and blood rushing from the claw mark on his throat. He stared up at me with wide lifeless eyes which were filled with fear.

Fear was the last thing Erik ever felt before I killed him. I would forever remember how his blood felt as it trickled down my face, the taste of copper which filled my mouth, and the feeling I had as I watched him take his last breath. Part of me wanted to believe he deserved what happened to him, but no one deserved to be mauled to death.   

Hey everyone, I hoped you liked the introduction to Winter's Return! This is a shorter chapter just to dip your feet in the water and get to know our main character, Tasnia, a bit

Thoughts on the story so far? If you liked it, feel free to vote and leave a comment. 

Thanks so much, I hope you continue to read and enjoy the story. I will be trying to update the story once a week, but I am a university student so I don't want to make promises I cannot keep.