Prelude

"My Prince, where have you gone?" Meli, the queen's servant, rapidly searched for the Prince. Her feet flew as she ran through the trees and bushes. She was catching wind and jumping over any obstacle that was in her way.

From far away she could see the body of a man lying in a marula tree. Picking up the pace, Meli ran toward the tree hoping it was the Prince. When she got closer, she could make out the Prince's facial features, so she called out his name once more. "Prince Adansi, get from that tree! The King is looking for you!" She started to slow down and walked toward the tree. When she arrived there, she saw the Prince's Kente cloth, his African garment only worn by the nobility, on the ground. Her eyes widened in disbelief.

"Prince Adansi! Where has your mind gone!" She picked up the sacred cloth and dusted off the dirt that left stains that she would have to clean out before the King noticed. She clenched her teeth in anger as she tried to get him to understand the foolish act he has committed. "Prince Adansi, how many times have I told you not to leave your cloth on the ground. This is sacred cloth. You do not treat it like any other cloth. What would the King say if he saw you doing something disgraceful like this?"

Adansi, the rebellious Prince, laid in the marula tree - only dressed in his trousers - sniffed the Goat's Foot flower that grew near the tree. He turned his head and looked at Meli with a wild look in his eyes and a poorly hidden smirk.

"Oh, Meli, You are my mother's servant. Why do you worry so much about me? Just relax and enjoy this lovely day." Adansi rested his head back on the branch to look at the glistening sun rays that shone through the leaves.

Meli huffed loudly in annoyance and turned her head from the Prince. "I do enjoy the day but, I have duties to attend to just like you. Now get down from that tree. Your father wants you immediately."

Adansi's smirk quickly morphed into a frown. He sat up with his feet dangling from the tree. His face filled with weariness.

"Is this about marriage, Meli?" Meli's face, filled with annoyance, changed into sympathy for the Prince.

"You're about to see eighteen summers, my Lord." She tried explaining, "Marriage is very important at this age. It's mandatory when you have to take your father's throne. You need to have a wife to help you when you're trying to lead an entire kingdom." She paused to collect her thoughts. "You should already know this, Adansi. It's not to punish you but to benefit your happiness and to have the kingdom strive." Adansi rolled his eyes. He reluctantly climbed down from the tree and turned to Meli.

"I'm already happy, Meli, I don't need a wife to benefit my happiness anymore than it is now. Also, I have the Council and the Elders to help me out and to make the kingdom strive. I don't need a wife and I'll refuse any woman who offers. " He took the cloth from Meli's hands and wrapped it around him inside out so the stains wouldn't show. "Why can't I just enjoy being youthful without having to worry about a wife that I have to answer to and to tie me down. I don't want my happiness to diminish because of some female always watching over me around and telling me how I should run my kingdom." Adansi started to stomping his way back on the trail path to the King's palace, mumbling to himself.

Meli, who stayed behind him, spoke softly. "Marriage is supposed to make you happy. You have no idea what is like not to have someone you love." Adansi walked on acting like he didn't hear her.

Adansi sighed as the got to the gates of Kumasi, the village where the palace is. The guards who stood in front of the opening of the gates, opened them for Adansi and Meli. The two walked the path that lead to the King's palace.

To Adansi, Kumasi was the beating heart of the Ashanti kingdom. It was active day and night, and it was needed for the kingdom to survive. In Kumasi, the capital of Ashanti tribe, the highest of the high lived there. The King and his family, the Ashanti Confederacy Council and their families, and people who had enough money to live there like merchants and farmers.