Chapter 2

"Adansi, It's time to wake up." The image in front of me was blurry when I cracked open my eyes. The sun shined brightly through my window so, I sat up to let my eyes adjust to the light. I saw my mother standing over me with a hesitant smile on her face. "You need to wake up," she said. "Your fiancee will be here at dawn and you have things to do. Take a shower in the river, get dressed, and come to the dining room for the dokunu and grilled tilapia you did not eat last night."  And with that, she left my room. I rolled my eye and laid back down to fall back asleep.

"Adansi! Now!" I heard my mother yell. I huffed and reluctantly stood up from my mat.

I dragged my feet to the river which was behind the palace. I looked back to see some of father's guards following me for so-called "protection". I rolled my eyes at the real reason why the guards are following me. My father must have sent them so I do not  escape my "responsibility" of getting married. That's just like him not to trust me. I got to the banks of the river and stripped out of my clothing. I dipped my toe in the water to see how cold it was and then engulfed my whole foot under that water. I slowly went deeper into the water, being careful not to step on anything. I slowly began to wash myself, feeling the cool water on my skin. The wind suddenly blew unto my skin making the water seem colder than it already was.

My mother once told me when the wind blows unexpectedly, it is trying to say something to you so, I looked around and saw that nothing was moving. The grasses stayed perfectly still and so did the cloth on the guards. Nothing was moving with the wind, but somehow I felt it on my skin. I suddenly closed my eyes and listened to hear its soft roar.

West. West. The words kept repeating themselves, mesmerizing me to the point where I unknowingly started moving west in the water.

"Prince Adansi. It's time to get out of the water." One of the guards said, breaking me from my trance. I looked around and saw I was farther away from the guards then I was before and I was deeper in the water. I reluctantly rose out of the water and went unto the shore. One of the guard handed me a leave and they both turned around so I could dry off. I looked around, thinking if I should run away. But, then quickly dismissed the thought for I would have to suffer serious consequences from running away, again. I put my on my cloth and started walking towards the palace passing the guards. I saw my mother in the distance with Meli by her side so, I started walking her way.

"Adansi." She called out.

"Yes, Mother?" I asked approaching her.

"You have until dawn to do whatever you want. Meli will be here to make sure you do not do anything you are not supposed to. Do you understand?" I nodded my head in agreement.

"Yes, Mother. I understand." I kissed her cheek and she handed me a mint leaf. I took the leaf, smirking at her before turning around and walking away from her with Meli behind me. I placed it on my tongue and started chewing it, tasting the bitterness of it. I made my way to Kofi's hut, passing all the subjects of Kumasi. Just like yesterday, their faces were filled with joy when I passed them but, when they saw Meli, their faces were filled with hatred. The curiosity from yesterday sparked again and I was one questioning why Meli was so hated.

"Meli?" I asked.

"Yes, sir?" She responded picking up the pace to walk right next to me. "Do you need something?"

"No. I do not need a thing but, I have to ask you a question." She nodded he head waiting for me to continue. "Well, I have always wondered why people look at you with so much hate. What did you do wrong to make people hate you." Meli was quiet for a moment before speaking.

"Well, my prince, since you are old enough, I might as well tell you why people hate me so much." She paused. Her eyes seemed far away, like she wasn't here but, she was in another time.