CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE

"Maybe you could give her some space, sir." Ronald suggested as we both walked side by side through the Main Area.

"Space?" That words broke me from my trance. I knew I've thought about this thing before but I wasn't really sure if I should actually act upon it. "How do I give her space?"

"I guess you could let her discover things on her own, Mr. Spears," he replied. "Sometimes being left alone to find your true self is what everyone needs to simmer down."

"........ Tell me why you're Grell's underling and not the other way around?" I said, giving Ronald a sincere smile for his answer. He grinned at my statement. Grell would be in good hands with this one.

"Well, sir, I'd be going to my room now." He waved to me as he went on ahead back to the dormitories. "Should I be there for Ms. ________'s meeting with the Elders tomorrow?"

"I'm sure she'd appreciate it if you do." I replied, clenching the pocket-watch in my right hand.

"See you both then, Mr. Spears!"

His cheerful figure soon vanished into the hallways, leaving me alone, thinking about what to do next. I turned around, going to one place that always calmed my mind when I needed it. The only place where I could get peace and answers in this stressful situation.

I walked past the quick, respectful nods of fellow Reapers in the Main Area and pushed open the white doors of the Grim Reaper Library. I sighed and immediately sat on the bench just facing the door near a balcony. I wish I let out all the stress and problems with that mighty sigh. I took out my comb and brushed back some of my hair that I thought was disheveled. Everything was silent. I smiled and sighed again, stretching out my arms and leaning them on the top of the bench after. If something would kill me right now, it would probably be my back.

Ronald was right. I shouldn't worry too much. If I really do love _______, then I should at least have faith in the damn woman. She can do it. She can prove herself to the Elders. She can be a bona fide Reaper. For the first time, I feel my eyes slowly going to a close, just relishing in the thought of her being happy without any problems. Just as I was about to take another sigh, a snicker broke me from my trance.

I opened my eyes and immediately sat properly, looking over to my right to see the Undertaker reading from a book, grinning.

"I didn't expect to see you here,... Sir." I started, fixing my monocle, hopefully it wasn't crooked in some way. I wasn't sure if the "sir" was actually necessary since Reapers do consider him a deserter but even with everything that's associated with him, I have high respects for him. Maybe it was the mutual fascination for human life.

"Oh, drop the formalities, you~" He replied, closing the book with one hand. "Ahh, 38. He had a good life but... Still far too young, don't you think?"

"I'm afraid so." I gulped, watching him as he eyes another book not far from where we both are.

"Now this one," he said, picking up the book that looked all too familiar to me. "This one is very interesting. I've been looking everywhere for my bookmark here."

It was ________'s book. Her life. Undertaker opened it, the black and pink bookmark never left its place as it was two days ago. He giggled and quickly plucked the bookmark away from the book. I somehow felt a feeling of urgency as he removed it, still feeling ______ would die if it was taken away. But I shrugged it off, having faith in my beliefs.

"Now I didn't expect you out of all Reapers to save a human." Undertaker said, putting the bookmark in one of his pockets.

"Likewise." I replied, staring him down like he's one to talk.

There was silence for a moment. And yet again, he managed to break it with a giggle. He was still holding ______'s book, gently rubbing the hardbound spine quietly as he grinned. "This particular book is interesting."

"How so?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"This book still has pages left to fill." He said as his long, black fingernails traced them.

Confused, I didn't answer. Undertaker's smile was questionable. So questionable, it could mean different emotions. I looked at my pocket-watch for the time. Still a lot of hours to go. Might as well find _______ and at least give her some pointers or some tips to help her along later. I stopped for a moment.

No, she needs space. Yes, that must be it.

I stood up from the bench, thinking maybe I could do some of the errands I withheld for some time for the past two days. I must admit I am way behind schedule and it's a miracle I haven't been reprimanded by the Elders yet. Everyone seems to be so busy for the past two days since _______ got here.

As I was approaching the door, Undertaker's voice stopped me once again. "Watch over her."

".... I will." With that, I opened the door, leaving the Undertaker to his business.

Almost on cue, Grell was there to greet me by the door, immediately running to me. He panted out my name which caught the attention of several Reapers in the Main Area. Grell somehow always makes a scene to my discomfort.

"What is it, Grell? Also, where have you been?" I asked, stepping aside from the Library door just in case some tries to use it.

Grell took a moment to himself before he answered, his eyes suspiciously shifting from left to right across the Main Area. "That's not the point, William." He panted. "The point is _______."

I was taken aback, squinting my eyes at what he just said. "We were just having some sort of misunderstanding at the moment, that's all."

"No, no, William....

... I don't trust her."

"Oh, come now, Grell. Since when did you ever care about me and my personal wiles?" I scoffed.

"You don't understand. When she was awake in the Infirmary, there was something different about her."

"Hmph." I replied, letting him talk as I was cleaning my monocle with my handkerchief.

"There was something in her eyes that scared me. Something.... YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE ME, WILLIAM!"

Grell clasped his hands around my arms, shaking me to say yes. Several Grim Reapers in the room gave us a disapproving look from their glasses, making me close my eyes and firmly push Grell away. "YOU'RE acting different, Grell."

Grell looked at me like I had just committed the most heinous crime of the century. His fane was drained of all the hope of me believing in him. And why would I? I'm sure he's just jealous that I get to spend more time with ______ rather than the good old days. I sighed, I felt sorry. After all we've been through, I have sympathies with the Reaper.

"You should probably get some rest, Grell. Look, I'm giving you the.... Day off. How's that?" Those two words were hesitant to come out of my lips but that's what I wanted to say.

I walked on, leaving Grell with that desperate look of his as I exited the Main Area. Now, where to? Oh, yes. That shoemaker down at Barker St. He's long overdue.

-