Chapter 2

This is what their hairstyles in this book look like. I kind of have a thing for redhead Mark. :D

Mark always had the worst luck. One of the only classes that he actually enjoyed just had to have his biggest enemy in it. And nonetheless sitting right beside him.

He inched away from Connor in his chair, leaning to the other side and scooting all his supplies over. Praying for the class to be over soon, he missed hurtful question aimed in his direction.

A harsh jerk on his hair snapped him back to reality, his eyes opening wide as he came face-to-face with Connor.

"I said, why are even here? You ruin the whole school's reputation, nerd." He let go of Mark's hair, shoving him back toward his table.

The latter said nothing, causing the other boy to get even angrier.

"I want to see you after school ends at the back of this building. If you don't come, it'll be even worse for you," Connor snarled, jabbing the smaller boy in the ribs.

Mark only winced and nodded, not meeting the other's eyes. When the bell rang, he hurried to lunch, still unable to forget those words. After lunch were two more boring classes, and then music.

Music class was either his worst or favorite class of the day. He loved dancing and rapping, and he could sing a little too. The problem was, almost all of the popular posse was in his class.

Mark never dared to show his talents; he knew that he'd get bullied even worse because of it.

But it seemed that luck was not on his side, since Mr. Sperling, the only other teacher that he liked, had actually drawn his name from the jar meant to choose one kid a week to perform his/her talents.

Mark had never been drawn before. Never. Until today.

Shaking, he made his way to the front of the class and waited for music to be played.

He heard the first few beats of the pop song and eased himself into the rhythm. For a few seconds, he stood there motionless. Mark heard his classmates start to snicker about how he possessed no talent.

For the first time ever, he mustered up the courage to glare at them. And then with no warning, he sprang into action.

And he transformed into an entirely different person.

First, a cartwheel followed by a backflip. Body rolls. Hip-hop dance moves. A smirk here and there. And to top it all off, the scorpion and a flip in midair.

Mark finished, sweating, but with a smirk on his face. He turned to look out the window, ignoring the whispering and stares of his classmates, and murmured,

"Jaebum? Do you see me? I'm doing it. I'm really doing it!"

Mr. Sperling clapped a hand on Mark's shoulder and grinned.

"See, kiddo? I knew you could do it."

The latter offered a rare, genuine smile and simply nodded.

He literally skipped out the door when the final bell rang to end school, making his way to his locker and grabbing his stuff, ready to go home.

He was stopped by a hand slamming his locker shut. Mark looked up to see the furious glare of Connor and his buddies. He felt himself being lifted up due to Connor's tight grip on his shirt.

"Did you really think you could just show off your stupid gymnastics to us and expect to be cool? Well, you thought wrong, retard."

Mark was abruptly thrown to the ground, his body painfully crashing down onto his left arm. Just as quickly, he was hauled up again, and this time, dragged towards the back of the school.

Connor burst through the back doors, entering a relatively closed off space where he smashed Mark against the wall.

"You will never be popular, idiot. No one will ever like you. No one will ever want to be your friend. No one even cares about you now," he spat. "You. Are. Fucking. Useless." Each word was accompanied by a punch to the gut, leaving Mark breathless and in pain.

Connor released his hold on Mark's shirt and let him crumple to the ground. He took a few steps back, smirking at the way the smaller boy immediately curled up in a ball to protect himself.

"Get him."

Connor's friends all charged at Mark, kicking and punching him wherever they could. Mark felt tears welling up in his eyes as they repeatedly hit him in the same spots. One particular kick from a tall blonde boy left him seeing stars. He was just beginning to lose consciousness when he heard an unfamiliar voice ring out.

"Hey! Get off him or I'm calling the police!"

Instantly, Connor and his friends turned tail and ran, not even bothering to get a glimpse at the kid. Mark painfully exhaled a sigh of relief as a blob in the corner of his vision approached him. He found himself staring at an extremely handsome boy.

"Are you an angel?" he half-muttered, delirious from the beating he had just received. The other boy broke into a sly smile.

"Angel? I'm more like the devil, honey," were the last words Mark heard before he blacked out.