Chapter 27

"What sort of insane idiot locks someone in a Jar?!" I screeched, storming around in the confined glass space I had just been locked in. "I'm a person! Not a bug!"

Even bugs get a bit of foliage in their cages... But what do I get?

Nothing but a jar full of misery.

"Um...Madison..." Nigel began nervously, speaking up for the first time since my tirade had begun.

Five minutes ago.

"What?" I rounded on him, eyes warning that it had better be important.

I was enjoying my rant too much to forgive petty interruptions.

"Well... Maybe you could... Stop... Yelling...A little... Bit...." He trailed off as my glared grew colder and colder.

"Stop yelling?" I asked. "How am I supposed to stop yelling when I'm locked in a Jar, and the only possible way to get out just ran off when you let them escape?!"

"You know that isn't true Maddison." Vain scolded quietly, giving me a tired look. I could practically feel his headache coming on. "You're being unfair. Lashing out isn't helping-"

"It's helping me!" I practically screamed, causing everyone to fall silent.

They had only been trying to reason with me, calm me down... But this tantrum of mine was starting to look less like anger... And more like fear.

Defeated, I slid down the glass to sit once more, burying my head against my raised knees, not caring what it looked like to the giant boys outside.

I was sick of being small. Being constantly stared at and manhandled.

Of not being able to do anything or help in any way.

At this rate, I might as well just stay in the jar.

"Ah...Maybe we could..."

"Nigel, if you even try to suggest that we break open the jar, you are dead to me." I snarled, not lifting my head to look at him.

".... I was going to say take you to Alex so he can pick open the lock." He murmured, somehow sounding a little apologetic for the contradiction.

Great, an option only mildly better than using a hammer to get me out.

"He can do that?" Vain asked, surprised and I scoffed.

Could he do it? Alexander Floyd brought lock picks to school and broke into things regularly.

Mostly he used his powers to troll staff and steal fruit from the canteen.

"It's just a little jar lock; I don't think he'll even find it a challenge," Nigel said enthusiastically, probably trying to cheer me up.

With all the effort I could conjure in my small body, I gave Nigel a small, thankful grimace.

It only last a few seconds, then I had to bury my face back down into my knees for a rest.

Instead of the relief I knew that I was supposed to be feeling right now, I couldn't help the immense feeling of dread that swelled in my chest.

Alex was going to see me locked up in a lolly jar.

Then Alex was going to save me from said lolly Jar.

I was never going to live this down.

"I wish that they had forgotten to put air holes in this thing," I whispered.