Chapter 19

Nick

I don't even know who came running, screaming for me & Joe. I didn't recognize him, but he looked to be official since he was wearing security badges. He was out of breath as he explained that our wives' limo was hit by a Semi truck as it was pulling away from the curb. Joe & I ran as fast as we could to where we put Demi & Blanda into the limo.  

There were police cars, ambulances, firetrucks & a million photographers surrounding the limo. It was smashed in, almost completely, on one side & in the back. We could only speculate that the girls were sitting in the same spots as when they first got in the car. My heart was racing & Joe grabbed my shirt as he bent over, trying to catch his breath. His eyes were filled with tears. My eyes were also filling with tears. I heard someone yelling Demi's name, then realized it was me. I tried to get to the limo for a closer look, with Joe by my side. An officer stopped us. 

"Our wives were in this limo." I said in a panic.  

"They're both pregnant." Joe added, breathing heavy.  

The officer's face looked surprised. He yelled for a fireman & when the fireman approached him, the officer spoke into his ear. The fireman turned to us. "We extracted one of the pregnant ladies & she's on her way to the hospital." 

My heart sank & Joe crumpled to the curb. "Was she pretty far along?" I asked after swallowing that dreaded lump. I looked down at my brother & my heart broke.  

"Yea." The fireman answered. 

Joe's head fell into his hands & he sobbed. "What about the other one?" I asked. 

"We've only sent one to the hospital. The others are either being treated for minor injuries or they aren't out of the limo yet." 

"Is my wife still in there?" I was panicking now.  

"There is one woman still inside that is unconscious, so we haven't gotten her out yet. We have to get to her first. If it's your wife & she's pregnant then we need to be even more careful."  

I ran my hand over my forehead. "Can you see her? Do you know what's she wearing or what she looks like?"  

I felt someone come up behind me & turned to see Greg & Paris. Paris hugged me as Greg went to talk to someone else in charge.  

"We need to get Joe to the hospital to be with Blanda." I said to Paris. 

"John & Lola are going to take him. They are getting their car now." Paris answered, rubbing my arm, gently. 

Tears were falling from my eyes as I patted Joe's shoulder. I knew he was hurting so bad right now, not knowing if Blanda or his son were okay. I just wanted to know where my wife was. 

"Nick!" Greg was running toward me, a look of panic on his face. "Demi is still inside the limo. They are trying to get her out now. I guess with the damage they did to the limo, getting Blanda out, it was trickier getting to Demi since she isn't conscious.  

I felt my heart beating in my chest. My head spun. I heard reporters shouting my name & shouting questions. Paris left me to go to them. I was sobbing now. I was frozen as I stood. I couldn't move. Was she alive? Why was she unconscious? Did she hit her head? I looked up at Greg. "Did you see her? I need to see her." 

Greg shook his head. "They are on the other side of the limo, trying to get to her." He looked around, letting out a deep breath. "They can't go in from the front because of the other vehicle. When the limo got hit, it pushed the front of it up against another car. Thankfully, no one was in the other car. It was parked at the curb, too."