Flight of the Esari

The mighty Northern Vale was the most powerful and most secure of all the Elven Kingdoms, it was also the largest and most ancient

The mighty Northern Vale was the most powerful and most secure of all the Elven Kingdoms, it was also the largest and most ancient. It lay cradled in one of the coldest and most inhospitable places on Earth, the Grimfang Mountain Range. Within the Grimfangs the Vale sat surrounded by a chain of desolate rocky mountains formed from the hardest of stone. The lofty peaks of the mountains went so high they spent most of their time in the clouds. Throughout the ages the tall thick walls of granite and basalt have protected the Vale and they have never been breached.

Over the entire Northern Vale lay a dome of the mighty White Magic. Through it the Tower Mages controlled the weather within and protected from the ravages of the weather without. The dome was supported by five hundred Mage Towers standing close to the mountain walls and evenly spaced around the perimeter of the Vale. Each tower was formed from black volcanic glass and rose hundreds of paces into the air. On top of the towers sat a bubble of thick clear crystal in which three Tower Mages worked. These small bands of Mages labored in shifts to maintain the mighty dome day and night. One Mage would collect the heavy mist of the White Magic and draw it into the tower to store until needed. When called upon the next Mage would form the White Magic and send it skyward in a thick stream. The third Mage would ensure the stream of White Magic mushroomed and melded with the magic of the other towers to form the dome. There were thousands of Tower Mages working tirelessly to maintain the dome over the Vale and they were of the most powerful Mages in the land.

Elves weak in the White Magic looked upon the Mage Towers as tall beautiful pillars gleaming in the sunlight. They would see wispy strands of mist floating low along the ground and mingling together to create a light blanket of fog turning slowly around the base. The soft glow of the large Elven runes running down the sides would sometimes catch their eye. That was usually the extent of what an Elf weak in the White could see, unless a Mage put the spell of the Mage Sight on them. This allowed them the wonderful sights of the beautiful magic all around them for a little while.  

Those strong in the White and gifted with the Mage Sight would see thick streams of mist flowing into a swirling dense fog at the base as the White Magic was called to the shining Towers of black glass. The ancient Elven runes blazed bright gold, especially when the Tower Mages worked the magic within. When the White Magic was released to reinforce the dome above those with the Sight would see a thick stream of light hurtling skyward from the Tower top. The Elves were treated to a beautiful light show when the stream hit the dome and dispersed into thousands of sizzling bolts fanning out to the center. The White Magic flashes brightly as it swiftly races erratically throughout the dome, looking much the same as lightning when it rolls through a high bank of clouds during a strong summer storm. The bolts race swiftly through the dome but most never make it to the center as they fizzle out in bright sparks and are absorbed into the protective dome.