The Rejection

It feels like it's been way too long since I last updated this. Hopefully I'll get better at updating quicker. My new year's resolution is to update this fic once a month. Anyway, enjoy.

Ludwig straightened up, pushing his shoulders back and raising his chin. Irina and her sister were due to arrive any minute, and he had to be prepared.

He pulled King Ivan's letter from the pocket of his dark blue tunic and scanned it quickly. Yes, they would be arriving soon.

He was standing in the foyer of Sanssouci Palace, Gilbert at his side. The visit was a casual enough one that didn't require fancy clothes or more servants, but important enough that they give them a proper welcome. It would be quite rude if only Ludwig were to greet them.

The front door swung open, and Natalya and Irina walked in. Many servants trailed after them, carrying luggage and belongings.

Irina smiled at Ludwig, rather unsure of how to greet him. She settled on a simple, "Good morning."

Irina was dressed nicely, but comfortably. Her dress had a puffy skirt but the corset was not tied to tight. The dress was made from comfortable black cotton, with an overskirt of heavy green wool, thick with intricate gold embroidery. The three-quarter sleeves had two large puffs of green wooden fabric, slit down the middle to reveal soft white lace poking out. The square neckline was heavily embroidered in gold. Her jewellery was simple as well; attached to her bosom was a silver chain, and a similar one was tied around her waist, with two tails hanging to the hem of her dress. On her wrists were silver bracelets and she wore silver hoop earrings. Her hair, as always, was in its pleated updo.

Natalya's dress was more striking, as the dark red and black fabric stood out against her pale hair and skin. The sides and back of the dress were black, with a strip of red running down the front. The red fabric was finely embroidered, a pattern of roses blossoming up in silver thread. The sleeves of the dress, which hung low, were red as well, turning to black once it reached her elbow. She wore a silver necklace and in her hair was a dark red bow.

If Irina had bothered to look, she would have seen a pink flush crawling up Ludwig's neck.

"Good morning, Irunya," he offered in response. "I'm glad you've come." He then stepped forward, a tad awkwardly, and took her hand. She offered her cheek, and he pressed his lips to it. It was the customary greeting for the betrothed in the Germanic Kingdom.

"Good morning to you too, Natalya," Ludwig said, then offered a hand to her. She shook it listlessly.

"Good morning, Gilbert. Nice to see you again," Irina smiled as she shook his hand.

"You too, Irunya. And you, Natalya." Gilbert shook hands with both the sisters.

"Your belongings are being brought to your rooms," Ludwig told them. Gilbert nodded at an attendant. The attendant scurried past, attempting to cary three trunks at once. "Would you like me to show you to them? You must be fatigued from the trip here."

"Thank you," Irina said. Indeed, they'd raised rather early to make it here by ten o'clock in the morning. Despite the lack of sleep, she'd done some thinking on the way over, and was eager to share her thoughts on the wedding with Ludwig.

Ludwig beckoned, then turned away. The sisters followed. Irina fell into step beside Ludwig and struck up a conversation, leaving Natalya to walk behind them.

Ludwig led the sisters down a familiar hallway, to the same pair of rooms they slept in the night of the betrothal.

"Well, these will be your rooms," Ludwig stated. A servant opened Natalya's door and began bringing her things inside.