The Wedding

Irina studied herself in the mirror. She looked beautiful, regal, and important, as several handmaidens were milling about and fixing her appearance. She was wearing her wedding dress, a piece of azure sky in a garment, with sunrise and sunset running up the seams. Her hair was in the process of being twisted into a loose updo, stray golden locks falling softly on the back of her neck. Dangling from her hears were heavy gold and topaz earrings. One servant powdered her nose while another painted her lips cherry red. She was an elegant bride.

A girl placed Irina's headpiece in her hair. "You're ready, your Highness."

Irina stepped into her shoes, which a servant hurried to fasten. "I am." She smiled.

At that moment, Uwe entered the room. "Your Highness, you look beautiful!" He complimented.

"Thank you, Uwe," she replied. "Is it time?"

"It is. If you'll just come with me." Uwe held the door for her. She walked through, holding her poise carefully.

Uwe escorted her through Sanssouci Palace, talking about all the changes in the wedding he had to make to meet the deadline, but Irina wasn't listening. She was thinking about herself, thinking about her soon-to-be husband and what she could do as Queen. It gave her tingles in her stomach.

"Are you anxious, your Highness?" Uwe asked, opening the carriage door for her. Irina snapped out of her thoughts.

"Not particularly," she told him. "I'm more excited, actually."

"That's interesting, and a tad odd," Uwe commented, then began talking about the societal and cultural expectations of marriage regarding women. Irina tuned him out again.

Instead, she looked out the window of the carriage. The streets were full of people, but they all parted for their carriage. The people were heading for the same spot they were: the cathedral. Many carried flowers. Some had sweets or small pastries.

The carriage halted in front of the cathedral. It towered above all other buildings in the square iron spokes shooting into the sky and gargoyles perched on its corners. The bell was ringing joyously, and a large crowd was gathered on the steps.

"And that's why, in a traditional relationship, the man has all the power," Uwe concluded, opening the door. He hopped out and held it for her.

"Fascinating." Irina exited the carriage, taking Uwe's proffered hand.

She realized the crowd, which had been chattering in anticipation, had gone silent. Hats were being swept off heads. As she walked up the stairs, they once again parted for her.

Inside the cathedral, Irina heard the crowd outside begin talking again. She heard those in the main hall, seated in the pews, murmuring amongst themselves as well. She laughed softly, realizing she could clearly hear her brother's voice amid the noise.

"Are you ready, your Highness?" Uwe asked her. "Do you remember what to do?"

"Of course," Irina said. Uwe gave her a short bow, and began to leave. "Uwe?" He stopped, and turned around. "Thank you."

"You're quite welcome, your Highness." Uwe gave her one last smile, then left.

Irina sighed, taking one last peaceful breath before the madness began. Then she heard the music begin to play, and an attendant opened the door for her.

She walked down the aisle.

The cathedral was beautiful, and there were many friends and acquaintances of hers sitting in the pews, but Irina only focused on the altar. Ludwig was already standing there, looking handsome and regal in a blue tunic that brought out his eyes. He smiled gently at her, and she quickened her pace.